Chain length

The stock chain is definitely a 520 and I belive a DID VM series (o-ring), but I'm not 100% sure on the length (I think 120 links???). A DID ERV2 is a very good choice and is the strongest 520 sized x-ring chain they make, but its also their most expensive 520 chain. I believe Team Honda used this chain on their XR650R's based on some notes I've read. Here's the specs on DID's chains.

http://www.didchain.com/spec.html

Honda recommended stock is DID520VM-110LE or RK520KZO-110LE

both are 110 links staked master link. Need 112 for 14-51 combination. I've been using the RK520 X-ring from Rocky Mountain. It comes with a non-staked master link. Works fine for me.

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/wc.dll?wwrmatv~type_name~0002926044~CH~CHAIN~RK+520+X%2DRING+Chain~RK520110R~~~~0

It comes with a non-staked master link. Works fine for me

Hmmm...I don't know about that. What kind of riding are you doing/have done. How long have you been running this chain and link set up? I have to admit that not having to deal with a staked master link is appealing but the consequences of what could happen if the link fails scares the Bee Jee Zuss outta me! Any input from other Pig riders that have replaced their stock chain? I've heard that the stock Honda chain is pretty good as well. I have not compared prices yet but I'm going to be needing a chain (and sproketz) here pretty soon like my Pig Ridin' Bud, T-Daddy! Also...what is the baddest, gnarliest chain link stakeing tool out there? I do NOT want that chain wadding up in my cases! ?

I've got about 350 miles on Titax stainless 51 tooth with the above RK chain. Several years on XR600, XT600 and all had master links. The side plate retainer doesn't make the chain any stronger. If the master link is installed correctly there is very little chance in it coming off. People have been known to put retainer on backwards and it can be pushed off by the chain guide. I guess the same thing might happen when going backwards, but I try not to let that happen to often. When I do, I'm not worried about the chain ? I think installing a staked link with a hammer and punch would result in same end result.

A kink in the chain or running with to much slack is usually the cause of derailment. I also have a XRs only case saver that uses the engine mounting bolt as the upper support. It is designed better than the Kiwi. I've seen 1600cc, 200 hundred horsepower hillclimb bikes that have a master link. If your really worried tack weld the plate in place or use some JB weld.

Another thing you can try if Rocky Mountain doesn't carry it is to check and see if Dennis Kirk (www.denniskirk.com) will beat their price. I was recently going to buy some tires from Rocky Mountain, but they were out of stock on what I needed. Dennis Kirk not only matched their price, but beat each item by $1.

else using regular masterlinks with their aftermarket chains? Come on guys...give it up!

I looked into this when I first got my bike since all I previously ran on my open class bike was masterlink chains, but then I also used single cable throttles for everything back in the day when the Whirlpull throttle was king ?

I would guess most people would never have a problem with a masterlink 'IF' it was properly installed and regularly inspected, but I'm staying staked. A good chain doesn't wear out very quickly like they used to and I don't have a need to take mine apart since it stays pretty clean on its own or with a little bit of care from a grunge brush if I get into some mud.

In the past, I've only lost lost one masterlink on a 77 YZ400 and the chain easily broke into the engine case even though it had a case saver installed. I also remember loosing a masterlink on one of my Husky's, but the chain was intact when I found it during inspection and there were no further incidents. On the Yahoo XR650R board, there have been a couple guys who have lost or broken masterlinks, but I don't remember the details. I do remember someone saying that the chain guide on the upper swing arm of their XR650R was wearing away at their masterlink and it required replacement because of that, but I don't remember any other details.

I don't think its a real big deal either way, but I'm going to stay staked just because its one less thing I have to worry about. I don't envision myself doing any chain work in the field like I used to with the way chains I made now days. If I do find my chain wearing out, I'll catch it during inspection and then replace it at my convenience.

This is the results of the poll that was conducted on the yahoo XR650 group a couple of years ago.

Question

Have you broken a master link on a big- bore dirt thumper, especially the XR650R? This assumes you maintain the chain and installed it properly, of course.

Yes, I personally broke a master link on my XR650R.

Yes, I personally broke a master link on a big thumper of another comparable model.

No, I have put a lot of hours on a BRP with a master link and it has never failed.

No, but I heard from my sister-in-law's mother's ex-husband that he did.

Wouldn't think of using anything but a staked link. Go away, you ignorant novice.

I have always used master links, and I ain't gonna change now. That's what spare links are for.

I was personally quite comfortable using a master link until you brought it up. Now I'm nervous

Your vote is shown above. You can change your vote until the poll is concluded.

Responses

Choices Votes % 121 replies Respondents

Yes, I personally broke a master link on my XR650R. 1 0.83%

Yes, I personally broke a master link on a big thumper of another comparable model. 6 4.96%

No, I have put a lot of hours on a BRP with a master link and it has never failed. 30 24.79%

No, but I heard from my sister-in-law's mother's ex-husband that he did. 15 12.40%

Wouldn't think of using anything but a staked link. Go away, you ignorant novice. 18 14.88%

I have always used master links, and I ain't gonna change now. That's what spare links are for. 21 17.36%

I was personally quite comfortable using a master link until you brought it up. Now I'm nervous 30 24.79%

Well... I recently had the chain & sprockets swapped out at the local Honda dealership and quess what? They installed a master link... been running it ever since. I do agree that staked links are a PITA... especially on the trail... nothing will ruin your weekend quicker than NOT being able to repair the chain at camp.

Just my $.02

$100 for a 520VM seems a bit expensive (unless it includes installtion), especially when you can get DID's premium ERV2 for $106.40 (plus shipping but no tax) from White Buffalo Racing. They also have 520VM's for $74.50. Here's the link if you want to compare prices. Maybe BD will match their price if you ask them to.

http://www.whitebuffaloracing.net/didchains.htm#Premium%20X-ring%20VM%20Series%20chain

I'm running 112 links, (and a staked master link), on "Betty" and run a 14/50 - 13/50 - 15/50 combination with that length. I asked a friend who wrenchs for the local Honda shop about a staking tool and he told me they use a hammer to stake the link.

DID X-Ring from Rocky Mountain for $75 and don't even worry about it. This is one of the best chains made. I took off the stocker as soon as I bought the bike as it was not cared for by the previous owner. I ran this chain hard for over 1500 miles with no visible wear to both chain and sprockets. The master link is NOT an issue. The dang thing did not even need to be adjusted. In fact, when I got my new KTM I took off the Regina stocker and put a new DID X-ring on it. I still have the Regina in the DID box with zero miles on it. If RMMC is out of stock wait a week, they'll get them.

Dan

OK Thump-A-Licious 650, I think the answer has been reveiled. Buffalo de Blanco looks pretty dang good and there is positive feed back from our buddies Danco and XR650. I say X-ring it, master link it and use the 95 semolians we saved for the "Spockets" (Touch my monkey...Touch him!) Once again, I will light a candle on the alter of the "Q", bow to the North and Wick It Wide Open! ? Tanx Guys! :D

The only $53.50 chain I see on whitebuffalo is a 520-120 ERT . That isn't an O-ring chain. I had to look because I've yet to find anyone beat Rocky Mountain.

Since we're past the master link issue. What about the RK vs. DID. Rocky Mountain has been out of the DID for quite a while. That is why I ordered a RK chain. The box says 520XSO for 750cc street or dirt. The RK website http://www.rk-excel.co.jp/english/chain/02leaflet_e.pdf

lists tensile strenght at 7,930 psi, plenty for the pig. I installed the same chain and sprocket on a 1996 XR600R about a year ago. This bike has completely destroyed 2 tires, not rounded the knobbies but wore them down to slicks and the chain and sprockets look good as new. The chain hasn't even been tightened since I installed it. This bike will run within 1 bike length of 2 uncorked BRP's so the power is virtually the same.

I thought my factory chain and sprockets were holding up amazingly well for 1 year. The rear sprocket looked like new. I lube chain after every time bike is ridden and washed. I switched chain lubes to Bel-ray superclean and lubed chain 2 times. Next ride I broke 15 teeth out of 48 on rear sprocket. Chain had a frozen link that was hard to move with a vise. The conditions I ride in are all off-road and pretty nasty as times. Lots of mud and sand, steep hills and rocks. Don't think the Super clean was the problem and I'm still using it. I think the car wash was the likely culprit. In short if the RK chain lasts 1 year then I'm at same performance level as original $110.00 chain.

Something I noticed when looking at the box is that it includes a RK "O"-Ring Chain 20,000 mile limited warranty. 20,000 miles of street use and/or 1 year of off-road use. This is the 520XSO RX-Ring Chain

Just my $0.02.