Best skid plate to buy

I'm looking to buy a skid plate for an '08 yz450f. Does anyone have a recommendation on the best plate for the money?

While I do not have one of their skidplates, I do have their radiator cages and they have a well thought out design and excellent quality. The owner is an offroader also. When I need a new skidplate I will buy one from them. I like that they offer both lightweight and heavy duty skidplates.

http://www.scorpionracing.ca/

I went with the gytr enduro plate for mine, got it off ebay for $90

devol enough said

I have a Devol, and it's a good bargain. I like that it uses the OEM mounting points, fits well, and protects pretty well. It could cover the cases a little better.

Price was about a 6 (1 is free, 10 is exorbitant) quality 8, fit 9, protection 7.

The Scorpion offers considerably better case coverage, IMO, and if I needed one now, I'd look into it.

Do any of these have the hole cut out to drain your oil or do you have to take the skid plate off everytime?

The thumpertalk store has one for only $83.:smirk:

Do any of these have the hole cut out to drain your oil or do you have to take the skid plate off everytime?

The Devol has a cutout for the sump drain, but not the "oil tank" on the right front. I fixed that with a hole saw and a piece of sheet metal. The sheet metal funnel is inserted through the hole to drain, and removed afterward:

drain.jpg?t=1279080223

I have a Devol, and it's a good bargain. I like that it uses the OEM mounting points, fits well, and protects pretty well. It could cover the cases a little better.

Price was about a 6 (1 is free, 10 is exorbitant) quality 8, fit 9, protection 7.

X2

The Scorpion offers considerably better case coverage, IMO, and if I needed one now, I'd look into it.

I'd give it the same rating on all accounts.

I must say it's a bit thinner material than I would have liked, although I'm really impressed it's stayed together completely for over two years now.

Have had good luck with the GYTR plate. Uses the stock mounting locations. Raced in the VCGP which is a rock garden with no issues. Not the cheapest tho.

08yz250fGYTRSP.jpg

I have the Works Connection skid plate on mine. Bought it because... well it was about the only one available at the time. No complaints, but I do wish it had some protection for the side covers.

X3:thumbsup:

Thanks for all the great insight. The GYTR looks like it has the best all around coverage.

I have Scorpion rad, and skid plates, and they are awesome! I liked them so much I got some for my Wife's 250X as well. I used to have a YZ, and had Devol units, but I think the Scorpion are far superior.

The Scorpion has a cut out for the oil tank up front, as well as a divot on the bottom of the plate on that side with a tiny hole for the leftover dribbles :smirk:

Mounting to the motor mounts gives these babies lot's of strength.There is not a better thought out skid plate IMO.

The owners also a great guy and not only does he ride but he supports lots of races here in BC (his local area)

Here's a pic of one on my WR450.

kiasbdaybikespeedo045.jpg