HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Robert_Brazil

Is the WR450 like the WR426 YZ easily timeable or not?

6 posts in this topic

I have a 2001 WR426 that I YZ-timed, loved the bike in that timing. I consider exchanging it for a newer 450 one (2004) by the way when will the 2004 bike be available in the stores?

I rode last week a stock WR450F 2003 of a friend of mine and the bike is far less responsive and powerful than mine. 85% of the power mine has I would say. I don't know if that's because its stock (grey wire in place WR timed and just had an opened muffler) or not. Anyway, cutting the wire and putting a WB pipe will help, yet my question is can the 450 be as easily set to YZ power as the 426? (just chaninging exhaust timing one dent and adjust jetting?). I am afraid I won't get a new WR450 as nice as mine WR426-yz timed, or is this nonsense? I read somewhere that the 450s YZ has actually a different command-rod (what's the appropriate name for the rod that pushes the valves again?). If I want at least the same power character as my 426 has now, do I need to change the expensive command rod? :)

Please help.

it is a different animal as far as the timing is concerned. You can make all the free mods, and it does make the bike a diffrernt beast, but in order to maintain the decompression feature, you have to switch the wr cam with a yz cam. The bumping the tooth up trick on a 450 disables the decompression feature. I know alot of people who have made the swap, and they say it is unbelievable difference. I myself, like the wr torquiness in the low end. :):D

I am with Machster. I prefer the WR cam after buying the YZ cam and running it for a month. I went back to get the bottom end for steep climbing and rutted mud riding. :)

im going of the hard hitting top for SM racing and stunt riding. when i swithch to the dirt wheels for long enduro rides i will put the wr cam back in.

this bike has so much power every where. and we get to choose where we put it. :):D :D

"by the way when will the 2004 bike be available in the stores?"

early to mid september in canada.