HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
swilson143

My 10 year old, brand new, YZ426F

31 posts in this topic

I'm stoked, check this out. My buddy just sold me this 2000 YZ426F. It has like 10 hours on it! He spent two days breaking it in and then it sat in his garage for nearly 10 years because of various reasons. The original tires even have the little nubs on them still! Completely stock except for a complete White Bros Titanium exhaust.

After new coolant, oil, oil filter , spark plug, and what felt like 100 kick start attempts, it came to life and almost always starts on the first kick now. What a monster! Can't wait to get it dirty!

930453680_NUz54-M.jpg

930457623_KZm3t-M.jpg

930458384_6uSVC-M.jpg

Scott

Edited by swilson143

wow, what a gem. Grats man, get that thing dirty and report back with pictures offcourse =)

Wow, that's almost unbeleivable to score a bike like that ! I've heard of bikes in like new condition that sat for something like 3 or 4 years, but not 10 !

wow i thought mine was in good shape! nice find man! :)

nice bike!!! why dont they make frames like that anymore? it'd be cool if they were coloured still. im thinking of getting mine powder coated :)

why dont they make frames like that anymore? it'd be cool if they were coloured still. im thinking of getting mine powder coated :)

colored painted frames look cool for about 2 months, then after you're boots wear the paint off, the now bare metal is constantly rusting and looks like $hit. Paint is also unwanted weight...

Replace the ex cam with decompresor cam and be happy.

I whish my YZ450'06 had a manual decompressor... just like the good'oll '00, compress, decompress, and kick it!

on the 250 auto is OK, but on the 450 if the engine is not spot-on timing by the time it stalls it can be a pain in the but...

I whish my YZ450'06 had a manual decompressor... just like the good'oll '00, compress, decompress, and kick it!

How would that be different? The position of the crank when you hit compression with the '06, and the position of the crank after you get gone monkeying around with the manual compression release are the same, if you do it right. All you have to do is push the engine against compression, draw back and kick. You get to skip the part where you pull the release and advance the lever an inch, is all.

How would that be different? The position of the crank when you hit compression with the '06, and the position of the crank after you get gone monkeying around with the manual compression release are the same, if you do it right. All you have to do is push the engine against compression, draw back and kick. You get to skip the part where you pull the release and advance the lever an inch, is all.

theoreticly, that's the universal truth. but on the track, and in haste its not that acurate... but maybe that's just me...

theoreticly, that's the universal truth. but on the track, and in haste its not that acurate... but maybe that's just me...

What do you do "in haste" with the manual setup?

The point is that if your engine is so badly tuned that it's hard to start, it will be hard to start regardless of the decomp technology in use. In fact, 426's were considerably fussier in that regard than any YZ450 I've dealt with.

Scott

Very nice 426.............brand new...............

Edited by jhendr3702

What do you do "in haste" with the manual setup?

The point is that if your engine is so badly tuned that it's hard to start, it will be hard to start regardless of the decomp technology in use. In fact, 426's were considerably fussier in that regard than any YZ450 I've dealt with.

lol i'd kinda like to know this too. i just put the 450 cam in my 426 cause i race it in harescrambles and it's a pain in the a$$ when it stalls out in the tight stuff. doing the decomp dance on a slick off camber hillside isn't very fun at all. don't get me wrong it wouldn't be much fun with auto decomp but i'm hoping it helps some. i have to recheck my valve clearance now though. it fired up today and sounds like a sewing machine :\

i say pimp that bike out and get yourself a 450 exhaust cam :smirk: it wasn't that hard to do to be honest. timing can get you second guessing yourself but if you just go with what you find on here you'll have little problem.

Sweet ride, hooray for you! Lucky the carb gaskets were not all dried up and the jets gunked, he must have set it up properly for storage. Did he flip the rear axle so the triangle stand goes on the left? Or did the 00 models have a rear axle inserted from the left? (I'd like my triangle on the left.) How much did you pay for it anyway?

Thanks for the comments. I stole it for $2200. Don't know about the kick stand... I doubt he flipped the axle around, near as I can tell he hadn't turned a wrench on it yet. When I brought it home it got its first oil change a wiped the mud off from the first 10 hours of riding it got.

I'm not in a big rush to do the cam mod. I'm not racing this bike, just playing on it. So far having to use the decomp lever isn't bugging me. I'll be more interested in adding a headlight so I can still have fun in winter when it gets dark early. In the reading I've done on this site so far, seems like changing to a WR stator and flywheel is the easiest (cheapest) way to power a headlight. Is there a good how-to thread for this mod? I found a lot of people talking about the mod, and some kind of wiring change I'll have to make, but no where did I find any instructions or photos of it.