Difference in a 420 and a 428 chain??

New to riding and just purchased an '03 TTR225.

After a few rides I've decided that I needed more low end power and after reading the threads decided to change my front sprocket to a 14T and my rear sprocket to a 59T ... however I can't find any information on the difference between a Renthal 420 and 428 130 link chain.

Can anyone explain the difference and offer a recommendation on what to use?

Thanks!

Renthal R1 is a standard (non-o-ring) chain. The primary difference between 420 and 428 is the pitch of the links. A 130 link 428 chain will be longer (and generally speaking, heavier-duty) than a 130 link 420 chain.

Doesn't the TTR225 use a 520 chain? :)

if it were me, I'd just drop the front sprocket 1 tooth and see if that was enough of a change. That way, you don't have to buy a new chain. You can go down to a 12T on that bike (I think).

Renthal R1 is a standard (non-o-ring) chain. The primary difference between 420 and 428 is the pitch of the links. A 130 link 428 chain will be longer (and generally speaking, heavier-duty) than a 130 link 420 chain.

if it were me, I'd just drop the front sprocket 1 tooth and see if that was enough of a change. That way, you don't have to buy a new chain. You can go down to a 12T on that bike (I think).

WHOAAA, 420 and 428 chains are the same pitch (the 4 means 4/8" which is of course 1/2"). They will be the same length, the width is greater on the 428.

The TTR 225 uses a 428 chain I believe.

Edited by motovita

orly. :)

What the hell was I thinking... of course that's right. 428 has longer pins. :banana:

Nope, just finished replacing a chain/sprocket on the 225, came with a 428 O-ring stock. Unfortunately I couldn't find a O-ring replacement.

It's probably possible to upgrade it to a 520, but that's bordering on excessive. My street bike uses a 520 or 530 (depending on what you want) and that puts out 68 HP.

IIRC, you can use the rear sprocket from a XT225, you just need to drill out the holes because the XT uses smaller sprocket studs. The front sprockets are the same.

I ended up with the RK 428MXZ if you want a gold RK chain it's GB428MXZ

Do not get a RK 428-M, it's not strong enough.

420 chain? Is that like smoking the whole bag in one sitting?:)