new 09 WR450F - not a slow turd stock!

Ok, had a chance to take it out and ride it after doing the "normal" mods.

I still stand by my first thinking, with just changing the throttle stop, I think the bike runs fine and feel like I could race it in the A enduro class and the power wouldn't be a factor in how I placed.

But ... one person made a great point that having a bike too lean makes it run hotter and not last as long.

So I did the normal stuff:

- bought the Yamaha AIS removal kit

- left the AIS on (in CA)

- changed all the jets in the kit

- added a remote fuel/air screw

- pulled out the airbox snorkle

- pulled out the pea shooter thing in the pipe (the smallest insert)

- disconnected the gray wire

- put in the shorter throttle stop screw

And the results? Runs great, not a monster, and actually, I don't notice a huge difference.

Certainly the throttle stop change is a huge difference, but the power characteristics seems the same. Maybe a bit quicker reving, more "lively", but nothing that drastic.

But now I gotta focus on the suspension ... that needs a bunch of work.

Usetobefast,

I just bought the 09' wr450f. Completely stock. Can I get away with just doing throttle stop screw, pea shooter, and gray wire mod?

In your opinion...

I live in Pittsburgh, PA.

An exhaust system from a 09 YZF will drop about 2lbs, gives you a cleaner look and more grab access to the rear fender. As far as power goes, it gives more meat off the bottom end - mid. I got one for sale if anyone is interested, includes PMB Sparky.

These bikes are fairly lean stock, if you are high in altitude you may get away with it.

Most likely you should re-jet to avoid running too lean.

You could try the mod's you have listed and if you find it's not happy put the pea shooter back in till you have time.

After the intake mod, I would say try it out, but most likely yes.

We just found video of our buddy Dave flipping a WR450F over in front of a packed parking lot. Clutch side of the bar was pointing straight down, rear fender straight up and the seat actually broke off!

Burying throttle X medium speed + big fat rider / by big ditch = awesome footage.

We just found video of our buddy Dave flipping a WR450F over in front of a packed parking lot. Clutch side of the bar was pointing straight down, rear fender straight up and the seat actually broke off!

Burying throttle X medium speed + big fat rider / by big ditch = awesome footage.

You gonna post it up, or just tease us....

Some info on my WR 450 F . Ais removed , snorkel intact , exhaust baffle removed.

Carb jetted with NFLR yz needle middle clip, 48 pilot and 155 main jet for 4000-5000 feet riding.

Gytr fuelscrew 2 out .

Bike starts easily witout choke when cold and pulls strong from idle to top -no bog, hesitation or any problems. Jetting was done by a Yamaha dealer.

Verry happy with bike

I do a oilchange every 300 km. Oil filter every 1000 km