HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JJ1

Rear Axle and Front Sprocket Size. Help.

9 posts in this topic

This is a stupid question but o well. I have called 3 yamaha stores and not a single one of them can tell me the size of the socket needed to remove the rear wheel and also to change the front sprocket. It cant be that difficult. I don't have sockets that big and I only want to buy those sizes. The bike is a 2007 YZ450F. Thanks for your help. :):banana:

It's a 27mm. (A 1 1/16" works) You'd think they could have asked one of the techs.

yeap, 27 mm. a crescent wrench works just fine if you don't want to spend the 15 bucks on a 27mm socket.

I would not use a crescent wrench on something that requires 90 ft lbs of torque

Yeah, but that's just you. :banana:

More seriously, it depends on the wrench and the fastener. I have a 15" Blue Point CW that will do 90 ft/lb on a good wide nut, no problem. Overall, though, you make a good point. :)

I just want to see how someone gets a Crescent wrench of any real size ON the front sprocket, never mind actually removing it.

Is it a 27mm for both the front sprocket and the rear axle? Both of these are the same size? Thanks for the input.