HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mxkid23

yzf450 chain jerking?

14 posts in this topic

when im in first at low rpms and i gas it i can feel the chain rubbing against something and the whole bike feels like it jerks a bit . could it be because i adjusted the sag? any ideas?

If the chain is rubbing against something, then you either have a bent rear sprocket, a bent chain guide, or the rear wheel is mis-aligned.

could also be your chain is to loose and when you get on the gas it snaps forward. ive noticed on some 450's if you cruise in 1st and givre a little bit of gas you do heard a snap when the chain tensions.

yup, 4st hits every 4th revolution so low rpm will get the chain "slapping" as it goes from tight to loose.

yeah, especially on the big torquey 450s, at idle a fair amount of "chain slap" is normal.

And check your chain guides for wear if you hear metal rubbing and the inside of your frame.I'm willing to bet your chain is too lose.

Small throttle openings will give sputtery performance on the 4 strokes and you can get a tugging feeling. The bike isnt pulling smoothly.

sounds like you have bearing play to me, see if your rear tire moves side to side.

tire doesnt move at all it tuggs a bit im going to agjust the chain a little and it should be just fine.

tire doesnt move at all it tuggs a bit im going to agjust the chain a little and it should be just fine.

just be careful not to over-tighten your chain. Remember, when on a stand the chain slack should be between 1.9 - 2.3 inches.

My chain is adjusted to about 2", and I often get "chain slap" when opening the throttle at low RPM. That's normal.