DR 650 Toolbox Mod (pics)

Was tired of the little vanity toolbox on the bike and loading my backpack with proper tools on day trips. So I constructed a new tool box out of PVC pipe and some metal bands I picked up. Everything was purchased from homedepot and cost just under $30

Tools I used:

allen and socket wrenches

dremel

saw

drill

beer

Parts I got:

2' x 3" PVC pipe - $7.75

3" plugs x2 - $9.20

3" quick cap - $4.21

pro pack vinyl tape pipe wrap - $5.24

metal bands - $2.72

PVC pipe cut to 17.25"

13.jpg

3" pipe griper plug

12.jpg

I cut a hole in the 3" quick cap and inserted the griper plug. Not necessary but I didn't want a bright red cap on the end of the bike and I thought this looked clean. The inner end of the pipe I just left with the gripper as it is hidden.

11.jpg

10.jpg

This is the banding metal strips I used I didn't measure the cut or the size of the original band, but I think it was about 2' and cut to 16". Shaped them around the pipe and drilled some holes in them where they will bolt on. Then wrap them in Pro-Pack vinyl conduit tape to help grip the pipe when its all bolted together.

8.jpg

7.jpg

Here is the original tool box. Removed that.

14.jpg

Cut off the helmet lock

9.jpg

Mounted the front band using the original tool box bolt location. I don't have a pic of the rear bolt location, but I used the rear hand grip bolt location.

6.jpg

Hindsight, I cut the band furthest back too short and the tool box is uneven with the muffler on the opposite side. Going back tomorrow to get another band. But you get the idea.

5.jpg

4.jpg

Cut part of the inner fender to allow room for the new tool box without pushing against the outer fender too much

3.jpg

photo1-1.jpg

So heres the bike all back together

photo-1.jpg

I had wanted to originally bought a 4" pipe,but when I got home and held it up to the to where I wanted it, I felt like the tire would hit it no matter how I mounted it. So I got the 3", my hand can't fit into the pipe but I just put all the tools in a bag with a zipper and a nylon loop.

Problem solved, I now carry at all time a well stocked tool kit. Including pry bar, box end wrenches, socket set, screw drivers, vice grips, insulated wire, fuses, zip ties, tire spoons, etc etc etc...

Nice job and great documentation on your first post! :) Welcome!

+1 great writeup:thumbsup:

I think I have just found my next farkle for my bike :smirk: get the tool bag off of the rack and use the rack for something else.

Tools? We don't need no stinking tools! That's his stash tube... you really should have known. :smirk:

Nice setup you've got there. Good write up too.

Welcome, and thanks!

I did something similar, except I mounted the tube to the bash plate right under the exhaust. I used some slightly longer bash plate bolts, and mounted an aluminum bar that then had bands around it to mount the pvc. Does that make sense? I got the idea from some posts on ADV.

I started this a few weeks ago. I'm sidelined with a broken Femur from a 7/4 shunt on Lake Hughes Rd.

There is a lot of room to put a box in there

IMG_1627.jpg

I started this a few weeks ago.

Dude, keep us updated...that looks like its gonna be neat. :smirk:

I got my stash tube made up but used the red plug on the end to break up the blue/white of the bike. Instead of bending metal around the tube I just bought some 3" pipe hanger that squeez the tube when tightened, holds it real good. Where inkfx has the red plug I just used a rubber 3" cap with a hose clamp. Alligned the new tool box to the same angle as the exhaust pipe and all looks clean and tidy.

Total cost $19.93 and 45 minutes to fabricate and install not bad.

Here is my toolbox.

can see ? It's exactly where you are staring at.

P6170017-1.jpg

P6170018-1.jpg

ok show off :smirk: that is an awsome idea and looks good while doing it.

Great use of the stock muffler!

Yeah, now where can I get a FMF for dirt cheap to cut up...

How did you go about flaring out the side panel?

Anybody have a helmet lock for sale?

Wow there is enough room for beer and ice...

Wow there is enough room for beer and ice...

My thoughts exactly. I see a bit of over load/over kill here. What? Are you gonna bring enough tools to rebuild your bike on the side of the road? :thumbsup:

I don't think so. Smart tools are best. Think about what you are likely to be dealing with. Crash damage, flats, jetting changes. The good news is the DR650 is damn reliable. Keep oil in it and it's doubtful it will break.

TIP:

And for the guy carrying his spare inner tube INSIDE his metal tool box? Bud, you are so screwed. :smirk: That tube will not survive there. Been there, done that.

I fiddled round with tool tubes on the DR about three years ago. Did some long rides into Mexico. Another out to Colorado via Nevada and Utah and back to California. Tried a few different options. I made an ABS tool tube mounted under the skid plate. Affected handling and allowed me to bring MORE THAN I REALLY NEEDED. The stock tool tube is a bit small. I could see making one maybe 20% bigger than stock. But no bigger. Here is my Tool Tube ... which is no longer used.

117022762_P6eBz-L.jpg

This tube is about half the size of the 1st tube shown in this thread ... and it was still too much. And the other one, using a stock pipe for a tool tube adds senseless weight to your bike.

On a real ride of any length we all figure out systems that work best.

I carry 3 tire Irons. Two short (8 in.) and one Ty Davis one. The 2 shorties go

in between my bash plate and frame. See them wrapped in inner tube in my pic above. They've never come out. The 3rd lever lives in my tail bag or saddlebag.

I use the stock tool tube now and carry a few supplementary tools in one of my bags. Here is just part of my long range tool kit. About 80% of what's shown fits in the stock tool tube.

182200179_KPzDW-L.jpg

Some of this obviously does not go in a tool tube. Rough ride there. But the basics will fit. Snap-On drive and sockets, rachet type open end wrenches, Grip locks, Screw drivers and so on.

The best tool carrier I've seen is made by a guy riding an XR-L. It's Aluminum and just the right size. Lost the link. It's a work of art. Same basic shape as stock but deeper in the oval part and just a bit longer.

I've got a tube mounted to the bash plate like you show above. How does that affect handling? If you overload it, then yes, you are adding weight. The nice thing about the bash plate tube is: 1) It lowers the weight of the tools. 2) You can choose the tube size that fits your needs. They make from 2" to 4" PVC and you can cut it to the length you desire. It can be big or little depending on your needs/wants.

I've got a tube mounted to the bash plate like you show above. How does that affect handling? If you overload it, then yes, you are adding weight. The nice thing about the bash plate tube is: 1) It lowers the weight of the tools. 2) You can choose the tube size that fits your needs. They make from 2" to 4" PVC and you can cut it to the length you desire. It can be big or little depending on your needs/wants.

Yea, I had too much weight in mine ... so I could feel it in corners. I got used to it but not ideal. Keeping weight low is good, I agree. But somehow this didn't work out too well. All true about custom fitting the right tube. The one you see was my 3rd (slow learner) ... but the final lesson was to remove it ... as it was starting to melt .. and got cracked on a rock! :thumbsup:

I also needed to figure more secure closing system. I'm not paranoid but losing all your tools would ruin your whole day.