help first ride on my new WR450 high pitched whistling

about 1/2 way through the ride my bike all of the sudden started a high pitch wistling at about 5 mph, not at idle and didnt seem to be related to engine RPM. Not brakes the noise would continue with them on or off. any ideas out there? is it harmful?

Also, if your running a full metal bash plate, it can reflect sounds, and set up some really funky "harmonics"..

My top front, and very back bolts on my bash plate were beginning to strip out, so I drilled all the mounting points out, tapped them, and went to bigger hardware, and now it fits very tight and snug. My first drive out, I kept hearing this "whirring" sound on and off...stop...get off bike...listen...nothing...get on bike...it's back...get off bike...go to other side...listen...nothing...back on bike...it's back....lol...

It onlt started since I fixed up the bash plate, so I can only figure it's something to do with that (Sound reflection/harmonics...)

X2 on the exhust as a possibility as well though. Mine with a megabomb/Ti PowerCore combo without the spark arrestor makes a crazy "klacking" sound at low RPM...sounds like a license plate slapping in it's mount with vibration....put in spark arrester, and it's gone....

These engines seem to make some pretty funky noises as a rule of thumb compared to other engines.

thanks for the inputs! the sound I am trying to describe is a high pitched whistle very continuous starting at 3-5 mph. and going away around 20 mph. I was riding about 9500 feet in elevation. on the way down my son was riding it and it seemed to go away, riding it around the house last night I couldnt get it to happen again. Just trying to figure it out, so it doesnt cause problems on the trail in the future.

thanks

Spomey

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...