HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bigdong

03 450 , no oil to head

6 posts in this topic

hi,

i got my 2003 yz 450 started today but when i checked the bolt at the top of the head to check for oil none was coming out, also the dipstick is dry. Its had a new filter + new oil which i poured in the bottom of the engine (not the frame) .

Does anyone have any clues as to where i should check first?

thx

Remove the return oil line at the left crankcase and crank the engine while someone holds a finger over the hole where the line goes. One should not be able to prevent it from pumping oil past the finger being held over the port. If the output seems weak, start the engine. It should push a large amount of oil out of the port in the crankcase very quickly, so move it to a spot where that's manageable and stand by the kill button. If it seems weak or if it can be held back, you probably have a sheared oil pump drive pin on the inner rotor set. It's accessible from the right side with the engine in the frame.

Thx, i will try that tomorrow and see how it goes.

Edit:- tried this and there was no pressure so took off oil pump and the rotors were knackered. Hopefully get this thing going properly once my new rotors arrive . :)

Edited by Bigdong

my next question would be, do you think a yz250f -

(5NL-13320-00-00 ROTOR ASSY 2 )

would fit the 450?

(5TA-13320-00-00 ROTOR ASSY 2)

my next question would be, do you think a yz250f -

(5NL-13320-00-00 ROTOR ASSY 2 )

would fit the 450?

(5TA-13320-00-00 ROTOR ASSY 2)

No, absolutely not.