best front tire

from all the reviews Geomax 51 is out of the question, the 952 like it, dont love it. bridgestone m404 almost the same as the 51. so need peoples input. Gncc steele creek and Yadkinville North Carolina terrain. a little bit of sand. very little hard pack. I love the rear Geomax mx51. just need help with the front.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you ever give bridgestone m59's a shot? they're above and beyond my favorite front tire. i ride/race in all different terrain that changes throughout the ride or race. this area of pa is hard to pick a specific tire for really. you can be on nice loamy dirt one second then in mud the next right into hardpack rooted out single track... the m59 was the best i've tried so far for what i ride at least.

from all the reviews Geomax 51 is out of the question,...

Why is that? I run MX51's front and rear, and I think the front works as well as anything I've yet used. My application here in the SoCal desert is certainly going to be different that the soil in NC, but if the rear works, what's wrong with the front?

from all the reviews Geomax 51 is out of the question, the 952 like it, dont love it. bridgestone m404 almost the same as the 51. so need peoples input. Gncc steele creek and Yadkinville North Carolina terrain. a little bit of sand. very little hard pack. I love the rear Geomax mx51. just need help with the front.

Thanks in advance

I have raced Yadkinville and the terrrain is very similair to what we just had at the perry mtn 24hr. We ran a geomax 51 in the rear and a 31 in the front. I thought they worked great and would for sure recomend that combo for Yadkinville. Only problem is Yadkinville was May 5??

I have raced Yadkinville and the terrrain is very similair to what we just had at the perry mtn 24hr. We ran a geomax 51 in the rear and a 31 in the front. I thought they worked great and would for sure recomend that combo for Yadkinville. Only problem is Yadkinville was May 5??

An insight on the terrain I ride. and there is a local series that will be racing there soon.

Why is that? I run MX51's front and rear, and I think the front works as well as anything I've yet used. My application here in the SoCal desert is certainly going to be different that the soil in NC, but if the rear works, what's wrong with the front?

they say the front doesnt feel planted. Not good in ruts. Charlie Mullins said to run Kenda Washougal Sticky... any back up to that?

They who? Who is Charlie Mullins, and where was he riding?

you mean charlie"hotrod" mullins. ampro yamaha racer, netra ass kicker and whatnot.

as far as the washougal sticky, i've run 5 or 6 of them on the front over the last couple years. they work and wear well, but they get greasy on wet roots. from what i understand the sticky aspect of them is sometype of additive to the compound to make them grip rocks and concrete better, i guess for pad starts and h&h racing like the golden spike. not sure of the truth in this but my experience is on wet roots they behave like a freshly armor alled tire on asphalt, don't ask how i know how that feels.

i think i'm going to stick to the non-sticky version of the washougal from now on.

Fine. So he didn't like it. The question of what kind of soil he was in at the time still hasn't been addressed, and it matters a lot. I'll just imagine that it's a little different in North Carolina than in SoCal.

The point is that if you're going to base your opinion on magazine reviews, take everything into account, and consider the source. In the end it has to please only you.

Can I just add, the Pirelli Scorpion Int/Soft front tyre is truly amazing. You have got to try one out. I am always changing my mind on which rear tyre is my fav, but will never ever ride on any other front tyre again. They are really that good. I read one magazine that refered to the tyre as similar to cheating. They were fans of the tyre as well

?

I really like the bridgestone m203.

It's a dual compound, directional that works in just about any type of terrain except extreme hardpack. They last forever with no knob cracking or chunking.

Yup, my front tire of choice as well. Even in hard pack I don't mind it all that much. I'm running the 80/100... ever tried the 90/100?

Can I just add, the Pirelli Scorpion Int/Soft front tyre is truly amazing. You have got to try one out. I am always changing my mind on which rear tyre is my fav, but will never ever ride on any other front tyre again. They are really that good. I read one magazine that refered to the tyre as similar to cheating. They were fans of the tyre as well

?

Is that the Pirelli Scorpian mid/soft MXMS?

I agree about the 51 front. Not a huge fan. I was a longtime diehard 756 front/rear fan and don't know why they got rid of them. I ride eastern PA motocross, and it worked everywhere. Just wearing out my first set of 51's and not sure what to try. Rear isn't bad, but thinking of trying the B-stone 404 intermed. combo. Thoughts?