HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
802wrRider

2003 wr450f engine noinse.

7 posts in this topic

now i have read alot about these engines making alot of noise especially when you have a skid plate attached. i dont have a skid plate, and the engine noise is only at lower rpms. when you get on the throttle the noise seems to go away. it also seems to have a little sputter at lower rpms also going away and smoothing right out when you give it a little gas. it runs beautiful at midrange and higher rpms. now i just bought this bike saturday knowing that it needed some work and i am very new to the dirt bike world so any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

thanks~

A loud knock from the bottom end is very bad. Mostly noticed at idle.

A ticking sound could indicate a loose valve clearance.

There tends to be a lot of noise from the clutch with these bikes. It is usually nothing to be worried about. Good luck with the bike.

thanks, i took it for anotjer ride tonight to see if i couls figure out what was going on. and the noise that i was hearing is more of a shutter at low speed/rpm's in second gear and up. other than that it rhode sweet

thanks, i took it for anotjer ride tonight to see if i couls figure out what was going on. and the noise that i was hearing is more of a shutter at low speed/rpm's in second gear and up. other than that it rhode sweet

Ift's while lugging it while riding it is most likely drive chain slap.

yah thats what i figured but i know the chain is not loose, i just tightened it with a buddy of mine that is much more knowledgable than i am. oh well as long as its not going to hurt anything than i dont really care to much.

yah thats what i figured but i know the chain is not loose, i just tightened it with a buddy of mine that is much more knowledgable than i am. oh well as long as its not going to hurt anything than i dont really care to much.

Even when properly adjusted this bike will have some chain slap.

ok thats good to know. cause as picky as i am i would be messing with it for ever trying to fix and unfixable noise.