Brand Opinions Wanted - best replacement air filter '09 YZ450F

The OEM air filter is total crap. Its flimsy and it ripped during the first cleaning. Yes, I was a bit rough when cleaning it, but in the past I have cleaned many foam filters and been fine.

Unfortunately, my only option at the time was a direct replacement that is the same crap. Strangely, the GYT-R filter that is on the Yamaha site right now is wrong for the bike. The local dealer had one, but it was completely different, even though the part numbers are correct. It looked much nicer than the OEM filter, but it was just not the right one.

I am going to look into a UNI or Twin Air or ?? I am just looking for opinions from people who have used them.

What do you guys like best?

I am not sure about K&N for the extreme dust that our Norther Michigan trails get. At the dunes, K&N is fine, but I don't think they are enough for the very fine dust that we see up north in the summer.

Thanks!

Any top tier dual layer foam filter is about as good as the other. It's the oil that actually does the filtering, anyway. The foam just holds the oil up in front of the dirt.

I use Twin Air, mostly because I get a deal on them. UNI's are good, too. I don't like the pre-oiled filters because the foam layer isn't deep enough to be effective, IMO.

K&N's are an enigma. If these filters are oiled right, they will both flow air better and filter better than foam. There are two problems with that. One is that the thin cross section of the media means that they trap 100% of their capacity very quickly, which leads to them passing dirt sooner than foam. The other is that it is nearly impossible to thoroughly oil the media through without dipping the element. This method requires a lot more oil than is needed to service foam elements, and then leaves the problem of draining or blowing out the excess. IMO, they aren't worth the trouble unless you don't care how well they work.