Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
4banger

Suspension tuners for offroad--Who did you use and did you like the results?

24 posts in this topic

I am getting beat to death on my 98 yzf and I only do hare scrambles and trailride(no mx. I am an intermediate and my yzf was valved and sprung for a pro mxer before I bought it. What companies have you all used and what do you think of the results.

on my '98yz250 i had Factory Connection do the work (june '99). it was worlds better than stock. then i rode a CR with MX-Tech and called FC back up. sent them my forks again and told them, "do better, you suck". this was june of '00. it is better. then i hooked up with Jeff Howe of TrakControl Dynamics. he got the nod on my new '01yz250f. he did the suspension for me before i ever saw the bike. it kicks the crap out of '98 FC setup hands down. i only ride/race harescrambles in the Texas Championship Hare Scramble Series.

you can contact jeff at -> Jeff Howe jhowe@pclink.com

tell him i sent ya.

------------------

Steve Unruh - Texas Championship Hare Scramble Series - T14

[This message has been edited by SUnruh (edited 01-18-2001).]

FC does a good job with motocross set-ups, but I am not familiar with there harescamble set-ups. RG3 Suspension is the place to go if you’re looking for the best.

A bit of background on RG3 (Rob) - Rob was in on the ground floor of what today is Race Tech , Was wooed by Big Red to head up their suspension development only to maintain his independence by helping FMF out with their suspension services a few years back. While at FMF, he helped a friend of mine learn the trade who is now part of the Team Green suspension development team. Rob knows his stuff and if you have an opportunity for him to do your stuff.. Go for it. I do my own, but if I were to send it out.. RG3 Suspension

I had Works Enduro Rider(W.E.R) do my '99 YZ 400 and it is worlds better than stock. Drew Smith is the owner and tuner and all he does is enduro and off-road suspension. He's not a motocross guy that tunes for off-roaders occasionaly. He did a lot of work on Barry Hawk's(GNCC) YZ 250 and knows what works and what doesn't. Also, his brother Chris Smith was racing a '98 when they first came out. Plus they are all really nice guys to deal with and very reasonably priced. They're # is (908)637-6385.

Thanks for the replies.

I rode a ktm 400 exc and loved the suspension. I want that suspension on my bike. I talked to a tuner that has an excellent reputation and he said he can do that. Were your results that good? I don't mind spending the cash, but I want the bike to be as good as a stock KTM suspenders

I had Pro-Action of Michgan do my suspension on my 1999 WR 400 and my 1999 YZ400. Hands down, without a doubt, the best money I ever spent on a bike in my life. He said that if I didn't like the settings or wanted something changed to give them back and he would make necessary changes but there was no need to send them back. I race harescrambles and enduro and they are perfect. Contact Bob Gentsch at 616-639-0094. Tell him that Shannon reccomended you and he will set you up.

I had Pro-Action of Michgan do my suspension on my 1999 WR 400 and my 1999 YZ400. Hands down, without a doubt, the best money I ever spent on a bike in my life. He said that if I didn't like the settings or wanted something changed to give them back and he would make necessary changes but there was no need to send them back. I race harescrambles and enduro and they are perfect. Contact Bob Gentsch at 616-639-0094. Tell him that Shannon reccomended you and he will set you up.

SUnruh, you're totally right. Jeff does awesome work. I wouldn't send my stuff anywhere else. He's a nice guy to boot. Everybody needs to send their stuff off to him, he's awesome. Forget Pro-Action , go TrakControl!!!!

I like Prescion concepts here in El Cajon.

They did a great job on my CR500 and I will have then do my YZF soon. They did team Hondas XR650s at the Baja 2000.

I have heard they actually specialze in Yamahas.....

Also, I do my own work and if they don't use a diff. piston or modify the stock one, i would just like to do it myself. I have a modified valving spec from a wr400 and may try that first. Suspension shops are so expensive and it seems hard to find a good one at a decent price. Thanks guys for all your suggestions.

mark

4banger,

TrakControl uses the piston developed by Rob Mann. it is not stock. it is not a stock one modified. it is new. yes, you can buy the parts individually and do it yourself if you like. send jeff (jhowe@pclink.com) some email, it's free. he'll answer all of your questions.

Look at the Race-tech sight www.race-tech.com

They have kits for shocks and forks. I installed a set on my CR250. They come with good videos and instructions that explain all the steps. Revalving shocks and forks is not rocket science. These kits make it easy and you come away with the understanding of how shocks and forks work. Just got my new 01 426 last week, good by 2-cycles.

I bought a Race tech kit for my kx a few years ago and I have revalved it at least 5 times. It is better, but not that much. The Racetech valving specs seem to be way off for woods applications and I have used modified stacks with better results. I think I may go back to my stock pistons with a different stack on that bike. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Mark

Ya know why the KTM fork works so good in the woods? Ever seen one apart? The first 3 inches of the comp. cartrage has a slice in it for total initial plushness and gives you a position sensitive situation and un equalled square edge performance. Anyone want to cut their forks up & test?

It might work but I'm not feeling like a guiene pig.

www.shocktherapyracing.com

Ask for Bob. call My yz is dialed, just need to fix the motor! (517) 743-5716

Just the right springs will go a long way.

also the 2001 bumper and mid valve can be adapted!

[This message has been edited by Superbike (edited 01-26-2001).]

Hey 4 banger,

I was in a hurry the other morning and didn't notice you owned a 98 model. I have just recently purchased a 98 from a buddy that had too much $$$ and couldn't start it easily. It's got everything carbonfiber, titanium, & gold talon you gan buy. But the suspension was stock. (harsh)

I could feel every square edge on the track & it wouldn't track into corners in that state tune. Also slapdowns were ridgid.

By the way I'm 43 & I M/X it.

This is what I did to my forks.

1-Disassemble the forks & get rid of the rubber bumper botoming system. It's not enough botoming resistance when you go plush with the first part of the travel. The 2.5" cones are the deal.

2-You will have the cartrage assy. apart and will have acess to the mid. valve. It can be converted to a check system with the avaliable shims on the stack by removung all but the thickest shim & the one that seats against the piston.

3-The rebound side is O.K.

4-Run oil height no higher than 128mm.(I'm running @ 128mm for M/X.)But with .46 up front instead of the .45's that are std.( I weigh 195 w/o gear.)The .45's should be fine for Off road situations especially with the bottoming cones.

5-Be sure to bleed the forks often.

6- If this isn't enough of a change a 2- stage comp. stack WILL fix it. And as for the pistons-I think they flow enough, I didn't replace mine.

6- I run my adjusters at Comp.11-12 Reb.14-15

on these Ga. hard pack - red clay tracks. (We have kaolin here too It gets blue grove)

One more thing...I have modified the shock & replaced my seatfoam with the ceet soft foam and it is very nice @ noticable improvement.

If you have any jetting info. let me know. I do my own jetting but I am spoiled on the 2- strokes accessibility of the needle & jets. I would rather service air cleaners than access the jets on this bad-ass motorcycle.

Later, kevin6n

Kevin6n, where is a good place to take my yz426 to be serviced? I live just south of Atlanta, and I just started riding again last month. Thanks. daverehm@charter.net

------------------

God Bless