HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JMC

98' yz400 still a good bike?

4 posts in this topic

Have a chance to swap my cr 500 for a really clean 400. I trail ride only. Had a 400 years ago but undecided on this deal. Both bikes look/are equally clean. Opinions?

I just sold my 99 400 and replaced it with a 03 yz 450. I loved my 400, with proper care I believe they can run forever and had I not finally got an offer I may still be riding it now. I rode it primarily on single track and hill climbs and it was a great bike for what I needed. However, after riding the 03 I realized how dated the 400 felt. Heavy, not as powerful and of course the decomp lever kickstart tango you would always have to go through. I do miss the 5 speed gearbox though.

If it has been taken care of I don't think you can go wrong with the 400. Solid bike. IMO.

I would either keep the 500 or get an 06 or newer 450. Preferably an 08 or 09. I rode an old 400 and it was an absolute pig.