Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duke_

YZ450F Motor swap question???

7 posts in this topic

Will a 2005 Yz450f motor fit into the newer aluminum frames? ie. 2006+ frames??

Yes, but it's not practical. You will have to fab front and upper motor mounts, and then figure out where to put the engine oil. You can either build an external tank or use a wet sump conversion kit, which I absolutely do not recommend.

In the end, the result will not be any lighter, and may in fact be heavier, than an '05.

Why would you want to do this?

Yes, but it's not practical. You will have to fab front and upper motor mounts, and then figure out where to put the engine oil. You can either build an external tank or use a wet sump conversion kit, which I absolutely do not recommend.

In the end, the result will not be any lighter, and may in fact be heavier, than an '05.

Why would you want to do this?

why no wet sump gray?

Because dry sumps are technically superior in a number of ways, for one thing, but the biggest reason is that it reduces the already small 1 liter oil supply to around 6-700cc. There's no margin for any sort of error or oil loss with a setup like that, and you'd have to change even a premium oil after each ride day.

Will the swing arm bolt work? Will I have to fab new engine mounts or will a combination of the two work? I have an 07 frame begging for a motor

Well the swing arm and the bottom mount should go, you might be able to adapt an oil tank from an alloy frame 250, the front mounts on the 250 are longer and might work on the 05. Can't say for sure on the top mount. The other issue is the pipe the cylinder angle is different on the engines. With enough time and a welder/mill any thing can be made to fit any thing you can buy a 06 engine for 1500 and sell an 05 for 1100 what's your time worth? If you want to go a head I have the 250 parts ( mounts oil tank) but no guarantee that's the way to go but it's a good winter project.