HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tpastrana

03 Yz 450f

12 posts in this topic

My bike seems like it runs way lean (backfires, and pops) when the hot start lever is in but when i pull it out it seems like its runnin fine, ive torn the carb apart two times and wondering if i missed cleaning a place any help is appreciated!

the knob on the lever is black , its stock, and the I just bought a pro circuit hot start connector because the OEM one was stripped and thought it would fix it but it didn't :thumbsup:

The knob is your choke, and your carb is running lean because of a partially blocked pilot jet or a stuck hot start, which is the aforementioned small lever on the clutch perch.

Well pretty positive it isn't a stuck hot start, i pulled the jets out and they looked clean soaked them in gunk carb cleaner anyways but i can pull them out again.

:thumbsup: crap oh yeah I had the dealer rebuild it, put high compression wiseco piston in, and rejetted it...how do you adjust the pilot jet? hmmm i'll pull it out and see if the is intact.

You adjust the pilot screw, not the jet:

http://www.thumperfaq.com/jetting.htm#PJ

The problem with the pilot jet is that the metering orifice is so small that any little bit of dried fuel varnish will cut the jet size by 3 or 4 steps even though it looks like it's open. The cross holes can also become clogged and are often overlooked.

Either clean it thoroughly ( http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8021726#post8021726 ) or replace it.