HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jaked02

Oil at Wal-Mart?

9 posts in this topic

What a koinkydink. A local go-fast racer told me today he buys all his oil for the 4 and 2 stroke at WallyWorld. But it's just Castrol GTX non-synth for the 450F and some SuperTech in gallon for the YZ 250. Don't want to turn this into an oil thread so....

Back to your original question: yes, $9.95 per quart is way spendy.

I hear good things about the Rotella T6 synthetic oil...

it can be bought for like 20 bucks a gallon at walmart

I use mobil 1 synthetic car oil in my bike. Much cheaper, extremely effective.

I was using that in my son's PW50, until I double-checked the label and saw that it was energy conserving. I think I've read that we shouldn't use oil with that on the label due to the fact that it causes the clutch to slip more than oil without the 'energy conserving' label.

I don't have long-term experience, so others may say that they use it and it doesn't have any negative side effects.

I was using that in my son's PW50, until I double-checked the label and saw that it was energy conserving. I think I've read that we shouldn't use oil with that on the label due to the fact that it causes the clutch to slip more than oil without the 'energy conserving' label.

I don't have long-term experience, so others may say that they use it and it doesn't have any negative side effects.

you are correct on that statement.. i've heard the exact same thing.....

What the manual cautions against is oils labeled "Energy Conserving II" or API ECII, not simply energy conserving, and they only say that the oil may cause problems.

But that is still not the issue. The real problem with most oils not originally blended to serve as gear lubes is that they cannot retain their viscosity in a unit that shares the engine oil with a transmission for more than a couple of hours use. This viscosity loss is undetectable by visual inspection since it only applies to the viscosity at operating temperatures. The oil will look normal when cold. But very often, the oil that you think is a 10w-40 will have collapsed into a 10w-30 or worse.

Send a sample of your used oil to Blackstone Labs if you doubt it.