HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
texvet88

99 WR400F Oil Change

15 posts in this topic

Bought this bike used and want to change the oil for the first time. I was going to go with Amsoil synthectic. Any bad experiences/recommendations? Thanks for any information.

Too old for straight synthectic. I use Yamalube and have had no trouble with it. 20/50w

Thanks for the information. Surprises me it is to old for sythetic but I have been out of it for a while...

Too old for straight synthectic.

:lol::thumbsup::lol::)

Well iv never herd that one, i have the husky team next door and they told me to use

Motul 300V Competition 15W-50,

it will quieten your engine down a tad, and because your bike is old and probably has a few miles on the clock, i would definitely use it

You have a single cylinder engine, say 45bhp, spinning at 8000rmp+.......

can you imagine the stress the crank will be on,

also if you are a wheelie merchant, you actually starve the top end from oil so i would like to know that the oil getting there is top quality

Too old... bah that tickled me

look at it this way- when you are young and fit you ate pretty much what you like

now when you get older you need to what what you put in your body and may even top it up with cod liver oil to help with them joints :lol:

So to sum.. i would say as your bike is older, give her the good stuff, unless you think its not worth it:thumbsup:

this is why i have never (touch wood) had engine failure

(you can use crap oil, but nust drop it every week, i know a lad with 14000 on the clock and he uses this method)

Too old... bah that tickled me

There is a valid argument that older engines should not use synthetic oils because synthetics have better penetrating ability. Therefore if your rings are highly worn, using synthetics will increase your oil consumption because more oil will slip past the rings and burn. I've only heard this argument in relations to car engines. I'm not sure it would apply to a WR because you won't find a 100k mile WR that hasn't had the rings replaced a number of times, in fact, you probably won't find a 100k mile WR at all.

There is a valid argument that older engines should not use synthetic oils because synthetics have better penetrating ability.

Where is the documentation of that? Synthetic base stocks have no such attribute, as far as I know.

There is no reason whatsoever not to use a full synthetic oil in any application I can think of. If age and mileage had anything to do with it, my truck would be in BIG trouble.

Where is the documentation of that? Synthetic base stocks have no such attribute, as far as I know.

There is no reason whatsoever not to use a full synthetic oil in any application I can think of. If age and mileage had anything to do with it, my truck would be in BIG trouble.

I have heard the same rumours, specifically related to cars... But i think it has more to do with the detergents that are added to the oil to maintain a clean engine, some older engines either

1. Have seals that require real oil to stay sealed, otherwise they crack and fail. OR

2. Have gaps and worn seals that you don't know about since the engine gunk has helped to keep things sealed.

I don't know how much truth there is in that... but that's what I've heard.

What actually happens in VERY aged engines is that as a seal hardens and deteriorates, volatile components of the petroleum based oil may work their way into the rubber, swelling and softening the seal. Since synthetics have fewer volatile components, when you switch an old engine in this condition over, the volatile agents eventually evaporate from the seal, and with nothing to replace them, the seal hardens and shrinks. The oil gets the blame for what was actually a seal that was in bad condition in the first place.

Noticed that TT no longer has the Scott's filter, wonder if it is a temprary out of stock issue? Thanks for all the information and I will do some searching around for the Scott's filter.

Call and ask the TT Store for it, or contact http://www.scottsperformance.com/

With a majority of buyers choosing the cheaper knock-offs of the real thing, they probably dropped it from the catalog due to slow sales. That doesn't mean you can't get one.