1987 XL600R...Dies when I give it gas

1987 XL600R..Everything is dialed in, valves, carb, air filter...starts and idles..soon as i twist the throttle it immediately dies....I've even changed the carb and had the same result???....What can IT BE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm going nuts!!!!?

• 2 weeks later...

Was the bike working normally, then suddenly had this problem? You seem certain that it's an electrical issue. Why?

I just had the same symptoms with my XR400. I thought it was a clogged fuel filter, so I back-flushed it and verified that fuel was flowing. Still didn't work. I pulled the float bowl, and it was empty -- The float valve was sticking!

this is the 2nd carb i have put on the bike..both were cleaned professionally...and it had the same result..starts..idles, but dies when you give it gas...

I am thinking it may be a valve issue, cause the bike sat for several years and it is smoking(white smoke)...but i am at a loss with this project....

87 XL should be dual carbs. You keep mentioning carb, singular. Does the choke make any difference? Sounds fuel related to me. try introducing fuel at throttle twist, spray brake clean or something to confirm it. Might have a plugged main jet circuit.

A valve issue would not allow a smooth idle, would get better at higher RPM's.

Where is the mixture screw set? Maybe too lean at transition?? Did the needle clip fall off and the needle is sitting in the main jet at bottom position?? Just guessing now.

That is a good start. if the engine seems to like spraying around the boots and manifold, you possibly have a vacuum leak. The brake cleaners are generally flammable so if it sucks in somewhere the engine will use it as fuel and speed up a little to indicate that. Remember it is a fuel source so be sure when vacuum checking the boots at idle that the air filter and intake tubes should be intact or it will speed up as it sucks cleaner through the open carb throats. If it idles smooth, the chances of major vacuum leaks are minimal

I was really alluding to using the brake cleaner as a fuel source sprayed into the intake tract directly, like into the airbox, while trying to accelerate the engine with the throttle at the same time. If the engine will accelerate while doing this then it is fair assumption that the carbs are not delivering fuel other than through the idle circuit. If that is so then the carbs need to be investigated thoroughly to determine the blockage.

Be careful spraying highly flammable liquids of course and don't set yourself on fire. You should be relatively safe if you use your head.

it has dual carbs...new coil, new Ricky Stator..I can start it really easy and it will idle all day...starts to smoke(white smoke).....Is it a valve issue...I still have a new Pulse regulator to put in..I do Not believe there are any vaccum leaks..I sprayed Brake clean around all the seals and engine( no increase in RPM's)..It still boggs and dies when given throttle...WHAT THE !@#$ is going on with this thing!!!!?

This is nuts...

this is the 2nd carb i have put on the bike..both were cleaned professionally...and it had the same result..starts..idles, but dies when you give it gas...

Were you ever in either set of carbs, or only the "professional?" Are there clips on the slide needles? Are there main jets installed? These sound like "stupid" things, but I have heard of others having trouble because of seemingly obvious things like that.

Once off idle, it will start drawing fuel from the main circuit. If the linkage is still set to stock configuration, the left carb will open first. The problem could be entirely in it. At the very least it is the carb to start looking into. The idle circuit is in the left carb only too. We know that much works anyway for now. I know you can pull the float bowls with the carbs still mounted to check the main jets.

Another possibility I though of is debris in the tank has collected around and in the main jets. If the carbs were clean and the tank dumps crap into them it could plug the mains. The idle jet draws fuel from a higher point and a different part of the float bowl.

Just trying to imagine everything I can think of. I would at least pop the float bowl off the left carb.

I just acquired a XR600r 1997. single carb, took it for a test ride & starts ok & idle to 1/8 throttle ok, but roll on the throttle & it dies. only thing I think I did, replace all fuel with fresh & verify flow out drain of carb bowl, & cleared out main jet. It runs fine now. I think problem may have been, who ever pulled out main jet, did not reinstall it correctly. Is it possible to install it without lining up needle in center of jet? maybe force needle up & out of position? This would answer the extreme leaness of main circut.

Is it possible to install it without lining up needle in center of jet? maybe force needle up & out of position?

Fortunately, no. The slide needle is held captive in the slide by the lifting linkage and doesn't enter the jet itself.

Fortunately, no. The slide needle is held captive in the slide by the lifting linkage and doesn't enter the jet itself.

But it does hang down far enough to enter the long, perforated tube, attached to the actual jet. Yes I agree, the needle is captive, but I think my buddy was able to force something to do harm. Anyhow, just a thought , because after I cleaned out this new ride & reassembled, it ran fine. (before it would die)?