HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
flapwick

05 450 versus 02 426

4 posts in this topic

How much better is the 05 450 than my 02 426? I don't have alot of extra money,but I can sell my bike and add about 500-600 dollars and get an 05 that appears to be in very good shape.I know the 06 450 is the way to go ,but I just can't get up the 1500 dollars or so I would need for an 06.So....I ride strictly motocross,novice vet speed(not real fast,but I'm clearing doubles and stuff),and God willing,I'll be doing this for awhile. I always seem to find out the pro's and con's AFTER I make a buying move,so I'm trying to gather the info now. I really love my 426,but I'm about to put some money into revalving and tweaking the suspension,and I thought I might be better off putting that money into this 05 450 I'm looking at.I would really appreciate your knowledgeable input.Thanks!!

If you ride ONLY Motocross, I'd be looking for a YZ, not a WR......

+1 on that. Plus they are a dime-a-dozen. 2007's going under $3k with all the mods/bling done already.

Although, I got my previous 426 set-up so well it'd smoke some YZ's. Wouldn't have sold it if I could have gotten E-start on it.

You will find the two bikes quite different. The '05 is lighter and has much improved suspension, but the power was detuned from the levels the '03/'04 were built to. That's in the ignition, and a CDI from an '04 (or a Dyna Tek, Vertex , etc.) will fix that. Probably is worth at least the $5-600 you're talking about, but the 426 is still a pretty good ride.

I'd recommend you ride one before you settle on it.