Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CanadianWR450

For the electronic experts.....

8 posts in this topic

I'm going to put a switch on my grey wire....

I got a nice, sturdy, and sealed 12v switch, but the wire leads coming off the switch (since it's sealed) is quite a bit heavier then the actual grey wire is.

Will this make any difference?

Since it's just a ground, I don't think it would....but, better safe then sorry, or risking CDI damage....

thanks!

Will this make any difference?

Nope! But If I was you, I'd wait for William1 to confirm my answer :thumbsup:

***Paging William1***

LOL....

The gage of the wire is a non-issue. Instead of grounding the switch, I'd place in the the grey wire. If you want to get anal like me, I mounted the switch oin my airbox. I put a socket on the oem harness in the grey waire, then a mating plug on the switch leads.

As a rule of thumb, any time you insert a wire, it must be the same or larger than the wire you are connecting to. You can never go too thick on a wire, only too thin.

From an electrical standpoint, the larger gauge leads running to the switch reduce resistance compared to the same length of a smaller gauge wire, so it's a non-issue, really.

As far as whether to place the switch at some midpoint in the existing grey wire, or run the grey wire to it and run a second, discreet ground, there's no electrical difference between the two. The caveat I would offer is that until someone else who knows better says otherwise, I would advise switching modes only while the engine was off and the CDI powered down, just to be absolutely safe.

Switching when the bike is running does nothing. The CDI only checks for ground at the grey wire when first energized. So to toggle between modes, the power must be shut off. My switch resides in the airbox.

My suggestion to put the switch in the midst of the gray wire was just to make things tidy and have one less redundant wire. The OEM one is there already, so use it.

Switching when the bike is running does nothing. The CDI only checks for ground at the grey wire when first energized. So to toggle between modes, the power must be shut off. My switch resides in the airbox.

My suggestion to put the switch in the midst of the gray wire was just to make things tidy and have one less redundant wire. The OEM one is there already, so use it.

I wasn't sure whether the CDI did a POST check for the ground or read it on the fly, but that's good to know. My caution against throwing the switch while "hot" comes from basic precautionary measures regarding spikes and such from state changes in electronic components. I figured it would probably be harmless, but it never hurts to let someone else pioneer things. :thumbsup:

Well, my plan is this:

grey wire is already cut just before the the connector, so I was simply going to extend the wires up to where the trip meter was (now being replaced with a hour meter after a catastrophic failure in the 'hub drive"), and place the switch in the mounting plate for the trip meter.

from what I;m hearing I should be good to go!

Thanks!