Ron in SoCal

Ron,

I saw the pic that you put in the post about the guy with water in his carb. Where is that at? Big Bear? I've never done riding in that sort of terrain and would love to try it some time. I'm used to desert scenery and tracks. I do get in some tight riding out in really narrow canyons at the desert but nothing like the stuff in Big Bear that we go Jeeping in. Is that just Green Sticker area or what? Let me know when you plan on going out riding again. I'd love to meet up with you. BTW I'm still living in San Diego. The commute to Irvine hasn't killed me yet.

Khris

------------------

When in doubt, GAS IT!

Hey Khris

That water crossing is named T-6, the creek is named Deep Creek, and it's near Big Bear but closer to Lake Arrowhead. It's on a jeep trail (and green sticker) that cuts across from the Arrowhead area to a campground called Crab Flats. Let me tell ya, this is one nasty jeep trail. It connects some really nice single-track trail systems, and is the link for a monster one-way trek from Landers to Silverwood Lake (about 75 miles).

Speaking of Landers, I saw your post about Johnson Valley. Landers is about 20 miles east of JV on the 247. I might be interested in riding up the north side of Big Bear from Landers that weekend. Can't do it from JV. It's a fun ride from the desert floor to 7000 feet if you make it all the way. Round trip is 70 miles. I know you'll be camping in JV, but Landers is 10 - 15minutes east and lots of fun. Interested? Heck, you probably pass it to get to JV from San Diego.

I'll be trying to survive that water crossing on Friday the 13th and another day of riding that weekend just might be the ticket. ?

I think I've been on that trail with my family's jeep. It sounds familiar. I haven't been up there in 3-4 years, actually since I went away for college. I remember most of the trails we do with the jeep are just forest numbered trails. Crab flats sounds real familiar. We may have stayed there once. I know we've done the dinky creek trail with our jeep. As for the ride it sounds like a lot of fun. Will a stock YZ400 tank do 70 miles? If I can talk a friend into going up with me I might be able to do it because we can through the bikes in his truck and meet you. Now that I think about it will a 2000 yz250 with stock tank do 70 miles? What day were you planning? Saturday? If he doesn't go I can't get my bike to landers cause I'll go out with my parents in their motorhome. I put my bike on a trailer with their buggy. Needless to say they won't let me pack up the motorhome and use it to pull the buggy trailer to meet up with you at the trail head. I'll work on my friend going, I know he wants to but he may have to work that Saturday.

Let me know what your plans for that trip are and I'll see what I can do about meeting you. I know where landers is we turn and head north on one of the hiways right in the middle of town.

Khris

------------------

When in doubt, GAS IT!

John, were you able to get across Deep Creek? Is the alternate route on the left still there? I really don't want to have to turn back at the creek because it's too deep. Thanks.

Khris, I'm willing to give it a try on Saturday or Sunday. What ever works out for you. I doubt a YZ400 tank will make it and I know a YZ250 will not. It's okay, we don't have to go to the top. Lot's of fun riding mid way. If your friend can't go I can pick you up at the highway if you want. I'm ALWAYS on time and I go past JV on the way. Talk to ya soon!

Sounds like fun to me!! Saturday would definately be the day for me cause we usually head home around noon on Sunday so that we can get back into SD at a decent time to unload everything. I'll probably know middle of next week if my friend is going. I can easily meet you on the side of the hiway. I've got your email so I'll get in touch with you mid next week and make plans. If I remember right I would be sitting right at Ocotilo road and Hiway 247.

Khris

------------------

When in doubt, GAS IT!

Ron,

Just a little update on mext weekend. I'm 100% sure I'm going and would definately be interested in hooking up with you to go for that ride. My friend with the 250 won't be able to make it so if you could pick me up on the side of the hiway Saturday that would be great. I only need room for the bike, me, and a back pack. I'll be easy to spot seeing as how my bike has the yellow hurricane kit on it. What kind of riding is this trail your talking about? Do I want to put on my top speed sprockets or my lower torque/track sprockets? Does it matter? If you want you can email me at sirhk100@hotmail.com or just reply to this, I'll see it either way. We can talk and set up a time to meet on the Saturday if you're still up for it.

Khris

------------------

When in doubt, GAS IT!

Khris,

I'm stoked your interested in going. No problem picking you up at the side of the highway at, say, around 9:00AM? I figure I'll have you back in JV by about 3:00. With your YZ tank we should reach about 6000 feet before turning back. Maybe some snow?

Don't worry about your gearing. Most of the stuff we will be on will be jeep trails (the single track starts at Cactus Flats - just about when we will turn around), with a few technical areas. I'm not planning on doing any heavy duty riding, just cruising up the mountain looking at the scenery. I'm sure I will be pretty wasted from the ride I'm going on the day before, I just want some seat time and this is a fun place to get it.

Talk to ya soon.

Ron,

9AM sounds great! I double checked the Road and I was right, I'll be on the west side of 247 at Ocotillo Road. It's a dirt road (like all the others) It's been a couple of years since I've been up there cause of being away from college but I want to say that Ocotillo road is about 20-25 minutes north of Yucca. It's just a little ways north of the road that heads out to the huge lake bed at Sledgehammer/jackhammer jeep trails with the bomb craters on the east side of 247. (Heck, Maybe you already know where it is) Like I said look for a YZ disguised as a DR since I have the full plstics on my bike. I'll probably get there about 8:45 just in case you get there early. I always have my cell phone on me so you can try it if for some reason something happens. I don't know if I'll get reception but I still take it with me. (760)822-7022 Feel free to call me at that number also if you just need to contact me and make more plans or change. I look foward to riding with you. This sounds like it'll be a fun ride.

Khris

------------------

When in doubt, GAS IT!

[This message has been edited by sirhk100 (edited 04-09-2001).]