Airbox onto Carb help

Hi Guys, As you can tell I don't post very often as I can usually get my questions answered be searching posts. But I've got a problem I hope someone can steer my right on. I took my Carb off to clean and re-jet with JD's kit. I am in the process of getting everything back together and for the life of me I cannot get the airbox boot to fit back onto the carb. The shock is in the way on the Right side and I can't reach it to help it slip back on. That's it. I was hoping to ride this weekend, but after spending a lot of time I'm about licked. Any help would be very much appreciated.?

It's a 09 WR 450f.

I had the shock off to get the carb off initially, but I put it back on after putting the carb back on, then brought the subframe back down to re-attach everything, thats when I started having problems. I will look at it again Sunday. So much for riding it this weekend. I'm glad I kept the KLX300R as a back-up instead of selling it right away.

What may have happened is when you slip the airbox between the shock and frame the airbox gets squeezed a little and the clamp around the airbox wants to hold it squeezed in. Once you get it past the shock try and reshape the airbox and that should help it slip on. When slipping the airbox back on try and start with the top and work it down instead of side to side. It will go. You just need to play with it to figure out a method that works for you.

WD40 is a great idea. I was beginning to think that I should soap it or something but wan't sure if I wanted dried soap anywhere near the carb. WD 40 should work. Thanks, I will give it a try.

I always put a dab of oil on my finger, run it around the boot of the airbox, and she slips right on ?

I just wanted to let the guys who responded that a little shot of wd40 on the airbox and 5 min later its on. Thanks for the replies.?

Not only do I NOT use WD40 (or any type of oil) on a carb boot, but I use carb cleaner to make sure there is NO lubricant on the boot or carb at all. The lube makes it easy to slip it all together but it also makes it slip off real easy, especially on a real long and dusty ride! Bad idea in my book! Lesson learned the hard way....?

Install the airbox first, then install the sub-frame.