Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eu001939

09 WRF 450 - grey wire

9 posts in this topic

I have read all the posts and the FAQ for the WR450 about the famous grey wire.

I bought my bike new last year from a dealer who made the mod's for me. I always assumed the grey wire was also disconnected.

Working on the bike this afternoon I noticed it is in fact still connected.

What would be the effect on the bike if you do all the mod's except the grey wire ?

is it just lack of power at high rev's ? Or would you notice a lack of power at slow rev's as well ? Would the bike stutter ?

Edited by eu001939

On my 06 I disconnected it for a season then reconnected it. While there's definitely a bigger hit with it disconnected, I found I was just spinning the wheel a lot more when I didn't necessarily want it to.

So, I guess it depends on your riding style and the type of terrain you're covering. The trails around here can be quite quite technical and rocky, so I prefer a little more control over how fast the rear spins up. So I keep it connected for now.

spick answered most of your Q, though the steady throttle stuttering is more pronounced with the grey disconnected. You would only notice this if your bike is plated and you are riding steady state. I never notice it off road.

I have a switch on mine. Shut the engine off, switch and go.

spick answered most of your Q, though the steady throttle stuttering is more pronounced with the grey disconnected. You would only notice this if your bike is plated and you are riding steady state. I never notice it off road.

I'm very interested in this.

- Where did you mount the switch?

- Worse case scenario if the switch was accidentaly activated (or de-activated), while engine is running, and under power?

- Worse case scenario if the switch was accidentaly activated (or de-activated), while engine is running, and under power?

Nothing - engine needs to be off, then switched on before the cdi will recognize the new mapping.

NICE remapping idea...geesh...I would guess to mount the switch back under the seat or in an area that you can get to easy with the least amount of wiring...handy...especially if you do dual sport road AND/OR off road.

+2

I've actually never noticed any throttle stuttering buzzing down the road at 50 mph during some dualsport events and i have my gray wire disconnected.

But maybe my bike is special :thumbsup:

I am sure jetting has something to do with it too..