Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
humpness

oversized tank 07

19 posts in this topic

I have a clarke oversized on my '08 and have radiator guards. Works with the stock shrouds (with some slight cutting to fit my guards).

Now the seat can be a pain to put on sometimes because the extra height of the oversized tank wants to push up the middle section of the seat which sometimes makes it difficult to get the seat tab thingy in place in the airbox.

I'd post a pic but my bike looks nearly exactly like the above - rekluse and pro bends included.

I have a clarke oversized on my '08 and have radiator guards. Works with the stock shrouds (with some slight cutting to fit my guards).

Now the seat can be a pain to put on sometimes because the extra height of the oversized tank wants to push up the middle section of the seat which sometimes makes it difficult to get the seat tab thingy in place in the airbox.

I'd post a pic but my bike looks nearly exactly like the above - rekluse and pro bends included.

I have the same tank on my 08 and I stuck a washer underneath the front seat bracket( the one that you bolt to the tank, number #19 in the fuel tank microfiche ) that the seat slides into.

http://cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/6175-yamaha-2006-yz450f-YZ450FV/assemblies/200484

This solves all my fitment issues with the seat and the seat goes on just as well as stock:thumbsup:

I have the IMS like WB450's. Miserable pig to get the shrouds installed over. Not real pleased with the fit, it pushes the shrouds out in all sorts of weird ways. Looks okay once you finally get the shrouds bolted down though. WB, did you have to use spacers between the rear mount and tank? Did you leave the stock rubber pads on the frame in place?

Here's a side pic of mine. Maybe its an IMS after all. Maybe I'm thinking of the tank on my WR as the Clarke????

VDRHS411105.jpg

Those running the IMS , have you had any problems with the shrouds breaking in crashes? The tank I bought came with a set of shrouds that are useless because one of the mount points where the shroud bolts to the radiator has broken off. I don't want to risk my fancy One Industries graphics so if its a common problem I'll probably throw the stock shrouds back on or pick up a beater set some place. Also curious if anyone needed to use spacers between the rear mount and tank and if they left the rubber dampers on the frame or not (I had to remove the rear one to get the tank to sit down right). And my stock fuel line was too short even with a WR petcock on the IMS tank.

I have the IMS like WB450's. Miserable pig to get the shrouds installed over. Not real pleased with the fit, it pushes the shrouds out in all sorts of weird ways. Looks okay once you finally get the shrouds bolted down though. WB, did you have to use spacers between the rear mount and tank? Did you leave the stock rubber pads on the frame in place?

I didn't have to uae any spacers, and yes I did leave the stock pads in place.:thumbsup:

Those running the IMS, have you had any problems with the shrouds breaking in crashes? The tank I bought came with a set of shrouds that are useless because one of the mount points where the shroud bolts to the radiator has broken off. I don't want to risk my fancy One Industries graphics so if its a common problem I'll probably throw the stock shrouds back on or pick up a beater set some place. Also curious if anyone needed to use spacers between the rear mount and tank and if they left the rubber dampers on the frame or not (I had to remove the rear one to get the tank to sit down right). And my stock fuel line was too short even with a WR petcock on the IMS tank.

I haven't had any problems with the shrouds breaking, and my stock fuel line was fine.

Mine's been down on the right left side a, um, number of times (very recently, in fact :thumbsup:), and the left radiator is even very slightly bent, but no shroud damage.

I'll have to take some photos tonight if I can remember for everyone to mull over... something just doesn't seem right with this tank I have.

123BigcoopDawg576 I already have a WR petcock, stock fuel line is still too short.

123BigcoopDawg576 I already have a WR petcock, stock fuel line is still too short.

Go buy some 1/4" automotive fuel line :thumbsup:

On my RM250 I chose my first Clarke tank. It's thinner (between the knees AND the material thickness) but it cracked when leaned against a tree. Clarke would not warranty it because it was on the bike a few years.

Back to IMS , have had a few... never a problem.

Gasoline burns when splashed on your crotch...IMO the IMS is well worth the few extra dollars.

I have the IMS tank on my '08 (and also used it on my '06) and did not have any fitment issues at all. I have a WR petcock with the lever mounted to the inboard side and use the stock fuel line.

However, with the radiator braces it makes for a tricky fit with the lower shroud/radiator mount. I use longer bolts and added a small spacer between the radiator tab and the shroud and it bolts right up no problem now.

Does the ims tank raise the front of the seat. I am short so even a little bit matters to me.

A very small amount, you probably won't notice.