Need help with picking a chain!!

Iv got a 2009 yz450f. Its got a 12 tooth drive sprocket im still running the stock chain, but its streched alot and I cant adjust it any more. Are the stock yamaha chains any good on the 2009s? And what are some of the best aftermarket chains.

Thanks for the help.

I maybe have 8-10 hours of riding on my stock chain and it has already stretched the length of one extra link. I just ordered a Regina chain but it is not the O-ring style, we'll see how it works.

To those who installed an o-ring chain on your YZ, did you have to do anything to the front sprocket for it to fit?

I maybe have 8-10 hours of riding on my stock chain and it has already stretched the length of one extra link. I just ordered a Regina chain but it is not the O-ring style, we'll see how it works.

To those who installed an o-ring chain on your YZ, did you have to do anything to the front sprocket for it to fit?

No, at least not for the Regina. Generally, the YZF hasn't had that problem at all.

Hay Gray ! Whats the part number of that chain ? I look at them on this link but don't know if it's the ORS or the ZR ?? didn't see orn6 !
The ORS is the more expensive version with a riveted type master link. The ZR chains are analogous to the X-rings in other lines.

If you are looking for the ORN6 on ThumperTalk, they are listed under the MSR brand, HERE

(bottom left of the page)

The TT part number is 34-0579.

The DID erv-3 has a tensile strength 1000lbs. higher than the Regina. 7642 for the Regina and 8660 for the DID.

Tensile strenght is a one time measurement of mechanical pulling stress until the chain snaps. This doesn't necessarily equate to a "better" chain. The longevity of my Regina ORN is VERY impressive thus far for me...

DID ERT-2. Our favorite shop buys them in bulk and gets a pretty good deal.

The stock chain on my YZ250 was a DID. It lasted quite a while. I clean them in gas and then soak them in 30W oil. My son's '10 250F came with the DID as well. It has about 40 hours on it with some adjustment.

I followed Gray's advice last year and put an ORN-6 on my '04 450. I wasn't able to ride it much before the tranny grenaded, but not adjustment was required. I rebuilt the motor and sold the bike to a buddy several months ago. He is still riding a couple hours a we with that chain and has no complaints.