adding more lights with stock stator

How many wattage it's your stator putting? I got a 100w on my wr400 but I think they come with 130w the newest one so you should be ok

I actually have no idea how many watts my stock stator is on my 2009 model

You have 110 watts. 35 is sucked up by the stock headlight. Figure 35 for the battery. Always provide a 15% cushion so that is another 15 watts. Leaving you 35 watts to play with. Adding two of these lights will be fine.

You have 110 watts. 35 is sucked up by the stock headlight. Figure 35 for the battery. Always provide a 15% cushion so that is another 15 watts. Leaving you 35 watts to play with. Adding two of these lights will be fine.

Is the 110 watts all DC on the 09 bikes? On my 03, the lighting circuit is AC, so to get all the power to DC, you need to modify the stator.

Is the 110 watts all DC on the 09 bikes? On my 03, the lighting circuit is AC, so to get all the power to DC, you need to modify the stator.

09 is the same as the 03...its AC

Fellas, The 110 watts is the TOTAL output. I assumed the OP did the stator mod (still a stock stator, just spiffed up a bit) and converted all the juice to DC. If not modded, I would not add more than one light. The AC side is 60 watts, at 5,000 rpm. 15% head room reduces that by 10 watts, 35 for the head light leaving only 15 left to play with. Now, he will still have to do a full rectification of the remaining 15 watts to get 10 usable ones. A lot of trouble when you could easily covert the bike to 100% DC and have all the extra juice, only have to have one circuit instead of two and so on.

I haven't done the stator mod at all....

so I assume i got 60 watts on the DC side and 60 watts on the AC side?

so in order to add two of these lights I will need to mod my stator... but i could add one light without modding the stator?

I assumed the OP did the stator mod

I assumed he didnt (its funny how people can take something an go two different directions) :thumbsup:

Fellas, The 110 watts is the TOTAL output

William maybe we should take this off line or to another post, but where were you able to find the wattage of the stock 450 stator? I know what is capable of handling but wattage is not something I am able to calculate...

130 watts at the stator

http://www.bajadesigns.com/2005%20Web%20Site/statorchart.htm

Keep in mind that is the output at the stator, not after the regulator/rectifier. After the RR it is 110 watts.

For those that have a good meter with an amp clamp, you can easily test the total current at any engine rpm. Simply seperate teh wires going into the RR, pick a Hot, put your clamp on it. note the value at various RPM. Them put a DC clamp in the red output wire and repeat the tests.

The stator always outputs the maximum possible at a given RPM. As RPM rises, so does voltage. No load amoperage is stead as it is a function of wire gauge and turns. Watts are volts times amps. Excess power is dumpd to gound in the RR.

Dawg, if there is more you want to discuss, we can certainly go PM or a new thread.