2002 yz426 clattering up hillclimb...

ok so like the title says i just dropped the front sprocket down to a 13 and took the bike out for a ride. i was out riding for probably 2+ hours with no problems except when towards the end of riding i went up a couple pretty decent hill climbs and towards the top i got a strange kind of clattering coming from maybe the top end. maybe it was just me lugging it, i was in 2nd gear though and like i said i'm now geared at 13/49. i'm in the process of changing all the fluids and everything now just wondering if there's any known issues with something like this or i'm just being ultra paranoid which isn't abnormal? thanks all :thumbsup:

ok so like the title says i just dropped the front sprocket down to a 13 and took the bike out for a ride. i was out riding for probably 2+ hours with no problems except when towards the end of riding i went up a couple pretty decent hill climbs and towards the top i got a strange kind of clattering coming from maybe the top end. maybe it was just me lugging it, i was in 2nd gear though and like i said i'm now geared at 13/49. i'm in the process of changing all the fluids and everything now just wondering if there's any known issues with something like this or i'm just being ultra paranoid which isn't abnormal? thanks all :thumbsup:

Sounds like chain slap. This becomes more pronounced as the chain loosens but is otherwise normal and annoying, do a search on it.

ah... very well could be... like i said man i could just being paranoid. the only time i heard anything out of the ordinary was going up these hillclimbs. i'm in the process of fixing a hairline crack in my case that's been there since i got the bike but i just discovered it today after going over everything after last weekends race but anyway i'm going to refill all my fluids and go over everything once more then try to get some more time on the bike tomorrow. but with the smaller front sprocket i'm hoping that's all the noise is. seeing how that's the only thing i changed recently that likely is the culprit. thanks :thumbsup:

Edited by milk
cause i'm click happy and i clicked on submit before i was really done with my reply :P
Sounds like chain slap. This becomes more pronounced as the chain loosens but is otherwise normal and annoying, do a search on it.

yep thats my guess too.