Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nlan

Oil pressure

4 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I got a friend's bike for an oil change the other day, a '04 WR450f.

After adding new oil, I loosened the M6 bolt up in the head, started the bike, and waited for oil to start creeping out. But it did not.

I finally removed the bolt completely, and oil started coming out. Does this mean there isn't enough oil pressure? Because I changed oil in another friend's WR250F not too long ago, and with the bolt only slightly loosened, oil came out!

Thanks

Nikos

I haven't loosened that bolt to check for flow, but it is a good idea. I've bought two YZ's for dirt cheap because they had head damage due to lack of oil flow.

The Honda XR engines have a similar external oil line. When I've done oil flow checks on these bikes oil will come out the bolt after loosening it just a couple turns. If you have to remove the bolt to see oil, I would think something is wrong.

nlan, I reckon this definitely means you haven't got enough oil pressure. I've had two WRs and both would weep very quickly just by slightly loosing the check bolt, so something's a miss.

In terms of a solution - I'm no expert. Could be a block somewhere along the oil routes, could be the filter, could be the oil pump. Not sure how to narrow down exactly what is and isn't getting oil.

Edited by Strattos