HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scubdawg

WR in a Harescramble

6 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I just have a few questions. With these heavier bikes, what gearing do you use in the rear? I find my self stalling this bike alot and I tend to lose some ground..Im going to try different gearing untill I can afford my Rekluse. .

Clutch control is your friend. Feather that clutch and you won't stall the bike. This is a skill that I work on as much as I can in the slow stuff. A moving engine is easier to handle as well.

I also think the stock gearing is just a little fast on the bottom. I don't know if you could try 12/50 to use the same chain length? Try turning your idle speed up.

I just got a Z-start installed on mine and I love it. :thumbsup: Excellent bike control in the tight stuff. What they don't tell you is to adjust the idle speed first, then monkey with springs. Of course if I had the extra cash, I would have got the pro.

I'll go one up on the rear for 99% of courses.

On a related note, and not saying this is you, I stall/crash/make mistakes/go slower more in races whether it be a motorcycle race or a shooting competition or snowboarding. The pressure of "being judged." Then I breathe and relax and take care of myself, not the others in the race.

And that's when I quit stalling my bike in corners, etc, because I have the flowing lines and loose body english and awareness of engine sound to know if my motor is about to puke.

For H&H and hare scrambles I have played around with going 1 and 2 teeth on the rear and have settled back with the stock gearing. The only time I switch now is trips to Moab and then I go 2 on the rear. I would think stalling is a matter of riding style, gearing never seems to matter much to me. By the way 2 teeth on the rear will lose you about 25-30mph top speed.

By the way 2 teeth on the rear will lose you about 25-30mph top speed.

huh :thumbsup:

I find it's more like 1.5-2mph per tooth.

I race hare scrambles with mine, tight 1st, second gear stuff.

With the motor stock (except free mods of course) I've run 12/50.

YZ exhaust system I went 13/52.

With my HC piston and YZ cams I now run 13/51.