Removing lower steering bearing

Its time to repack the steering head bearing but I can't seem to get the lower bearing off the steering head shaft. I can't pry at it without possibly damaging the bottom dust cover. Any recommendations on getting this sucker loose???

Bearing.jpg

Yes, just clean it up really well with some contact cleaner and repack that sucker with a pile of grease. It doesn't look too worn as is. Count your lucky stars that you decided to do this when you did.

The best way to remove the lower bearing is to press the whole stem out the bottom of the clamp. The lower seal is a part of the bearing, BTW. All in all, it's too much work to get involved with just to repack, and I think you should, as was suggested, just pack it in place as well as you can.

1+ ?

Just did mine today. Pry the rubber seal off first. Put the clamp in a vise, then use a tapered chisel and hammer it in between the bearing and the bottom of the stem. Once you get it a little ways out, then use a standard punch and hammer the bearing down the stem.

He wants to repack it, not replace it.

• 2 weeks later...
Just did mine today. Pry the rubber seal off first. Put the clamp in a vise, then use a tapered chisel and hammer it in between the bearing and the bottom of the stem. Once you get it a little ways out, then use a standard punch and hammer the bearing down the stem.

Replacing top and bottom right now, used the chisel and hammer method to get it off but am puzzled as to how to get the new one on. The manual simply says "install" but dosnt provide a method. Ideas??

You need a piece of solid tubing with a small enough OD to miss coming into contact with the bearing cage on the new bearing, but large enough to slip over the stem where the bearing is to ride. Then drive or press the new bearing into place. It will help to freeze the stem and clamp for at least two hours and warm the bearing up to no more than 160 degrees (because of the seal).

If you have trouble finding an appropriate tube, cut the cage off of the old lower bearing and use that, nose down, to drive the new one into place. If you cannot find a piece of pipe or tube to drive against the old bearing, you can flip the whole thing over and set the old bearing over a hole in a plate or the jaws of a large vise and drive the stem down into the new bearing from the bottom. Be nice, it's aluminum.

If you use the old bearing upside down as a driver, you'll have to drive it back off again, as it will get stuck on the stem unless you open it up slightly with a grinder.