Chain slap /sub frame

Have 06 wr450f and the chain keeps hitting the alum. sub frame. I thought I saw a thread about a guy that made a guard that bolted to the swing arm to prevent this from happening. tried doing a search but didnt find anything. Do any of you guys remember the product name or any other solution.

Thanks

I check the chain tension before every ride, because I know if it is out of spec. it makes the problem worse. I bought the bike new and have zip tied a heavy piece of rubber belt material to the sub frame. I used up my last piece and cant find any more rubber. looking for fix once and for all.

I'm not having any issues with the chain hitting the sub frame but it is slapping the swingarm. I run my chain just a hair tighter than the manual says and it seems to help. I have an 08.

I believe the noise you hear is coming from the chain slide. Some have chosen to epoxy it to the swingarm or put a thin strip of weather seal under it. ?

On my '08, I try and keep the chain with in the spec outlined in the manual. As far as the slapping nose, it does seem to be pronounced if the chain is on the looser end of the range and more noticeable when going slow. Nothing has touched the subframe on mine yet, but I can see a couple of nicks here and there on the frame where the chain passes by. I have read here somewhere that swapping over to the TM Design chain guide and slider eliminate the slapping noise, is this true?

On my '08, I try and keep the chain with in the spec outlined in the manual. As far as the slapping nose, it does seem to be pronounced if the chain is on the looser end of the range and more noticeable when going slow. Nothing has touched the subframe on mine yet, but I can see a couple of nicks here and there on the frame where the chain passes by. I have read here somewhere that swapping over to the TM Design chain guide and slider eliminate the slapping noise, is this true?

I don't know how much the TM guide helps, already had it on. But when I replaced the slider with the TM one chain slap was eliminated ?

I don't know how much the TM guide helps, already had it on. But when I replaced the slider with the TM one chain slap was eliminated ?

+1 for TM designs, it fixed the slap on my '09. i run both the front and rear guides

H20MN,

Ensure that you are adjusting the chain in accordance with the Owner's Manual. I owned a 2006 WR450F and until I followed the instructions for adjusting the chain to the letter, I had problems with the chain hitting the sub-frame. You are probably performing this task corrrectly, but verify that this is what you do to adjust your chain slack. Follow me on this.

Elevate the bike on a stand; rotate the wheel several revolutions to find the place where the slack seems the tightest; measure the slack from the TOP of the bolt that secures the chain chaffing strip to the Swing Arm to the BOTTOM of the chain between two roller pins (dimension "a" in the Owner's Manual) and adjust to the tight end (closer to 48mm) of the 48-58mm (1.9 - 2.3 in) slack tolerance.

When you adjust your chain alignment, ensure that you check the alignment of the axle using the alignment marks on both sides of the rear wheel and that you are counting from the rear of the adjustment blocks. The alignment block on the sprocket side has 9 alignment marks and the alignment block on the brake side has 11 alignment marks. If you count, starting from the back of the alignment blocks, the marks are equally spaced on the blocks, if you start from the front, the marks are not an equal distance from the center of the countershaft upon which the front sprocket is attached. Counting from the front of the alignment blocks will result in a chain that is not adjusted in a straight line. I hope this helps.

H20MN,

The alignment block on the sprocket side has 9 alignment marks and the alignment block on the brake side has 11 alignment marks. If you count, starting from the back of the alignment blocks, the marks are equally spaced on the blocks, if you start from the front, the marks are not an equal distance from the center of the countershaft upon which the front sprocket is attached. Counting from the front of the alignment blocks will result in a chain that is not adjusted in a straight line. I hope this helps.

This is a really good point and I don't recall my manual saying one word about it. ? Could be one of the reasons so many people have chewed up subframes, but likely that Yamaha has a little design issue as well.

BAJA FOOL :

Thanks for the info. I did not realize the different number of marks on the blocks. Went out and check it per your instruction and sure enough I counted from the wrong way I was one mark off. THANKS FOR THE INFO.

h20mn