HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
martman100

New 04 to me Dr D Exhaust jetting problem maybe

6 posts in this topic

Okay I am new to the bike world but I recently bought an 04 YZ450 and I don't think the jetting is right due to the popping it has on mid throttle acceleration the tremendous amount on deceleration. A good friend who knows a bit about them thinks the same. I know they pop some on dec. but nothing like this.

It has a 165 main jet and I believe that is stock. I looked at the jetting thread but I got more confused since it looked like a lot of people were running a 158 main with after market pipes and I have never heard of down sizing a main with an after market pipe.

I am in KY so 0 1500 ft altitude should work.

Nothing aftermarket except a twin air air filter. I have not checked the plug color yet but doesn't a 165 seem on the small side. Not sure on the pilot yet either will check it tonight.

What would you all suggest in regards to the DrD SS from a pilot/main standpoint?

If you think the current jetting is okay then what else would I need to look at.

Thanks

Marty

Thanks for the links for sure. I knew the main wasn't the issue with the decel popping I just got in a hurry and didn't clarify that.

So 165 sounds right? I am going to check the pilot size and also go over the exhaust I wanted to confirm the main first.

In addition to that I need to check the af screw. I would suspect from reading the other posts that 1.5 to 2.5 would be the "normal" range and outside of that is another indicator.

I will go through the carb as well since the guy I got it from said he has only ridden it maybe 4 or 5 times since 06. Means it has done a lot of sitting.

Thanks again for the links. I don't know how you all find this stuff so easy. I search substantially before I post any questions on these forums.

I read that section and that is where the confusion set in. Since I seen posts that said people with 04s were running 158 main when they come stock with a 165 according to the service manual.

I come from the yfz450 atv world and they have to substantially have the main jet changed for a pipe and a bump up on the pilot circuit as well.

I will get it dialed in thanks for the help.

My point was, in response to your surprise at my being able to find "all this stuff", that all of what I linked you to is posted in Common Threads.