I Can't Figure This Out.....Need Help Please

I've gone to a 200maj,160mj,40pilot,85pilot air jet, 1.5 turns out, and an EKQ needle(3 from top). I ride at 4,000 to 7,000' temp varies from 10c to high 20's. My mod are in the signature below. When i start the bike on choke it revs to the moon, shut the choke off it dies. I can't get the idle right no matter what i try. I'm also incurring a lot of back fire even while attempting to idle. I've had a shop do the work and I'm wondering if they screwed up when doing the YZ timing ?. Help me out brothers please.

Chuck

Chuck,

Its a riding day, so the real WR responses with your bike should be back at the keyboard tonight. Just some basics, before you spend a dime. Verify your valve clearances, make sure your carb is clean, properly mounted and cables are operating as they should. I would consider the checking the flywheel key to make sure it's not been sheared. Start with a properly gapped spark plug. Now you should be able to trouble shoot.

If you can wait a day or so, a helpful 426 rider can probably solve this quicker.

I would take the valve cover off and double-check their work on the timing change. Easy to screw up (especially for a shop that probably doesn't require their mechanics to read ThumperTalk!). Not much work for the peace of mind and SOMETHING is definitely wacky!

The backfiring really makes me suspicious of this. If it is backfiring through the carb, it means the intake valves are still open at the instant of ignition. That is a function of timing. And yours was just changed prior to the problem...

Let us know what you see under that valve cover...