08 yz450 clutch cable play after ebc

Sorry if a repeat question I searched the forum and couldn't find anything bike specific-

I bought a heavy duty ebc clutch plates/fibers/springs I made sure its the ride pt# DRC195 my clutch was fine before but I just bought the bike and put a few hrs on it so decided just to check it. I took out the plates fibers of the old and put the new in exactly the same and when I got it all back together my clutch levere had tons of play I couldn't adjust it unless the lever was super stiff with both adjustments by the lever almost all the way out. changed clutch cable same thing.

I know in my street bike you have to position the lever on the engine when you remove the clutch but this one is on the other side.... what did i do wrong??? LOL

IMO, the mistake was in not using OEM genuine clutch parts. It sounds like the stack height is greater with the new clutch, which will cause both the increased play and the heavy pull.

makes sense Ill take it apart and post up what I find. Thanks Grey

Edited by Antonmoto

One question, there is a steel ball that goes up inside the button that pushes the pressure plate. It can fall out while you have everything apart and without it cause exactly what you are describing. It's a common mistake. I would check that just to make sure. I've used quite a few EBC clutch kits with no problems.

the fiber plates are visually thinner than oem causing a ton of slack in the clutch cable.

Actually thinner plates would cause less play at the lever on that bike.

One question, there is a steel ball that goes up inside the button that pushes the pressure plate. It can fall out while you have everything apart and without it cause exactly what you are describing. It's a common mistake. I would check that just to make sure. I've used quite a few EBC clutch kits with no problems.

Actually thinner plates would cause less play at the lever on that bike.

ok i will double check thanks

Found the ball under my trailer LOL... nothing like learning new stuff ugh

Mislaying the ball from between the push rods would account for an enormous amount of play. In fact, it would surprise me to find out that it could be adjusted well enough to ride.

Thinner plates will indeed cause less play, but an increase in the number of plates will cause more play.

The '06 and earlier clutches had 9 friction plates, while the '07 and later have 8. The pressure plate and springs are different on either side of that change, along with the release arm, so anyone who sells you a "universal" kit for all years is giving you a smoke enema.

Just a thought or question from you learned gentlemen. I feel like the clutch on my 09 fofitty is weak because the free play changes during a long ride.

I also ride street bikes and a KTM. Do you think heavier clutch springs would help with durability? I have found the clutch pull to be very light, I am certainly used to a much heavier pull!! The aftermarket springs are only 10% stiffer which would be about 1/50th of my Harley. I would go stiffer but I guess that is all they offer.

Any suggestions?

Bud

Clutch springs would probably help, but my suggestion would be to roll back to the '06 clutch. This would require one extra friction plate, a set of the '06 plain plates, and the '06 pressure plate, springs, and release arm. The 12.5% increase in clutch area is more significant than a 10% increase in spring pressure, IMO.

I feel like the clutch on my 09 fofitty is weak because the free play changes during a long ride.

The play at the lever will generally increase as the clutch heats up and expands. In an area where you use the clutch alot (tight woods sections) it will get hotter and therefore you will have more freeplay at the lever. When you hit a long open section and don't use the clutch it will cool down and some of your freeplay goes away. Most people don't slip the clutch on a street bike like they do on an offroad bike so it's clutch temp stays more consistant.

I doubt stiffer springs would eliminate your problem unless the stocker are allowing the clutch to slip but on the other hand it wouldn't be a bad idea to install something a little heavier.