Alum or Steel Frame?

I have a 2006 WR250F with the steel frame. I like the look and feel of the bike and it's a great trail bike. I'm thinking about adding a 450F to my stable of bikes for some of the more open and faster rides that we do. Is there any significant weight difference or "feeling" difference between the alum and steel frame WR450F's? I do like the "old school" look of the steel frames and I appreciate the access to the carb. However, I think weight may be the deciding factor for my choice. Did the 450's switch to the alum frame in '07 like the 250's? Does anyone know what the difference in weight is between a WR250F and a WR450F?? I just noticed I put this in the YZ forum. Did'nt realize there was a separate forum for WR's. I would still appreciate input from YZ riders on the frame differences.?

I have a 2006 WR250F with the steel frame. I like the look and feel of the bike and it's a great trail bike. I'm thinking about adding a 450F to my stable of bikes for some of the more open and faster rides that we do. Is there any significant weight difference or "feeling" difference between the alum and steel frame WR450F's? I do like the "old school" look of the steel frames and I appreciate the access to the carb. However, I think weight may be the deciding factor for my choice. Did the 450's switch to the alum frame in '07 like the 250's? Does anyone know what the difference in weight is between a WR250F and a WR450F?? I just noticed I put this in the YZ forum. Did'nt realize there was a separate forum for WR's. I would still appreciate input from YZ riders on the frame differences.?

I'm not sure when WR's went aluminum. If weight is a factor, go with aluminum frame.

I have my first aluminum framed Yammie ('08 YZ450) and I was concerned about carb access. I find it's even easier on aluminum frame to access the needle, and main jet (no e-start though, lotsa room under carb) than my old '99 400F.

That said, it's probably harder to remove the carb on aluminum framed bikes. . . I haven't done that yet.?

I dont really think a steel frame is THAT much heavier than a aluminum frame. They switched mostly for handling and i have heard that the steel frames handle better. Thats just what ive heard though

The aluminum frame bikes are not any lighter. They do carry the weight lower so they feel lighter when you are riding.

That right there is a major reason to go with aluminum frame whenever possible. The steel frame bikes might have easier carb access, but how often does one really need to mess with the carb? I haven't touched mine in almost 3 years, but I do feel the benefits of the lower weight position every time I ride the bike. Aluminum frame ftw!

That right there is a major reason to go with aluminum frame whenever possible. The steel frame bikes might have easier carb access, but how often does one really need to mess with the carb? I haven't touched mine in almost 3 years, but I do feel the benefits of the lower weight position every time I ride the bike. Aluminum frame ftw!

Like I said, I can change the needle position and main jet EASIER on my '08 than my '99 steel-frame bike.

I have owned an 07 wr450 which was alum. frame and my friend had an 05 wr450 with a steel frame and now I own an09 yz450.

There was a big difference from the alum. frame and the steel frame wr's with the alum being much lighter and more nimble feeling. With that said, the 09 yz feels like it is 70lbs lighter when riding it compared to the wr's. The yz also is s much more nimble and effortless to ride. I used to get pretty tired after a 35 mile single track ride on the wr. Did the same single track on the yz and was not really tired and was ready to keep riding.

Buy the yz and install a Rekluse and you will be in heavan.

• 2 months later...