01' 462f Carb cleaning

I've posted once before, but only now have i had an opportunity to actually start on getting my ole YZ going. My ride is an 01' 426 that i had rode 1 season and ended having to give up riding due to unforseen circumstances. Flash forward 8 years and trying to get this beast running again.

During my inspection, i noted that i had emptied the tank when i had quit riding it, so it was pretty clean inside. I pulled the plug at the bottom of the float bowl and it was pretty nasty stuff in there. A light carmel color and pretty thick stuff. I spayed a little carb cleaner in the gas line inlet and let it sit for a bit. I thought i should at least attempt to get it started before pulling the carb and such. I put some fresh gas in and replaced the spark plug and at first it wanted to start, but i think it was just the carb cleaner burning off. At this point, i'm pretty sure i need to pull the carb and do some cleaning.

My questions to you folk is, what kind of cleaning should i start with? I'm not very familiar with this type of carb. Should i do some form of soak or just a good spray down? Is there anything i should be careful with etc...?

TIA for your thoughts and suggestions,

-MGB

Pulled the carb, sprayed it out and made sure all the old gas was out.

The beast is now running!

Thanks,

-MGB