HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AZ Thumpdaddy

Chains

5 posts in this topic

Dear fellow pig mounters,

I am at that stage of my BRP life cycle where the sprocket's teeth are getting a bit thin. I am looking at the Titax SS and a DID X ring. I have not had experience with an endless chain and I have several questions: 1)Does the DID xring come in the box endless or with an end and a rivet link or is that bought seperate? Do I buy the tools (chain breaker and press) from Scott's or where? It seems like for the price of the tools that I should just take my scooter to Baja Design or somewhere and have them put it on. Any other words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :)

Hey thumpdad, I put a DID X on my 5hundy. Bought a link puller for $12 at cycle parts west when I bought the chain. It took 5 minutes tops. Very simple.

I just installed the DID ERV2 on my XR650R. It is what Honda uses in Baja. It comes with a staked link. I rode it with the old chain to a local mechanic who had the tools. He lent them to me and with a little help was able to do it myself. I think the original is linkless, and a staked link is way better than the a clipped link. I got it at White Rhino for $106, which is way better than the $170 most places quote for this chain. I also used an Ironman sprocket, which is the way to go. Aluminum is cheese on the XR650R's. Also, when adjusting your chain, get the sprockets to align. I have been told the notches on the spacers do not do a good job of aligning your rear wheel , and this wears your sprockets faster.

John

Yes, a very timely topic! Could someone elaborate more on sprocket alignment/spacers? I'm going to be needing a chain as well. Is a staked masterlink going to get me back to an endless chain? Inquiring minds want to know! What are you Baja Guys running for chains and sprockets! Thanks!:)

Get a good chain like the DID ERV2. If you use a 'stainless steel' sprocket like the Ironman, or the Titax from from Rocky Mountain or the one from Moose, you'll be fine for a very very long time :)