HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
humpness

super low gearing tight trails

16 posts in this topic

i am running a 13/51 on my 07. i was wondering if any one has played around with any lower gearing than this. i would like to throw on a 12 just to see how it responds. just curious kind of a boredom question.

i am running a 13/51 on my 07. i was wondering if any one has played around with any lower gearing than this. i would like to throw on a 12 just to see how it responds. just curious kind of a boredom question.

I run 13/53 and I like it. Bike still will do 60 something MPH wound out and thats plenty fast for me. I would have put a 12 on to start but apparently it wears hard on the swingarm.

12's are hard on the chain slider, hard on the chain, and hard on themselves (they wear out noticeably faster than a 13)

i wonder if my chains long enough for a 53 I guess i might have an extra link.

Keep in mind, you may find that running a 12T actually makes your big YZ more difficult to manuever through real technical terrain. Sometimes IMO, it's easier to just lug the engine rather than rev. Lower gearing = snappier higher revs. But try it and see how you like it...

I encourage riders to always get a flywheel weight first when I read "woods riding" FWW's are awesome !

Keep in mind, you may find that running a 12T actually makes your big YZ more difficult to manuever through real technical terrain. Sometimes IMO, it's easier to just lug the engine rather than rev. Lower gearing = snappier higher revs. But try it and see how you like it...

I encourage riders to always get a flywheel weight first when I read "woods riding" FWW's are awesome !

For the most part I would agree but it depends on what you consider really technical, with 13/53 on mine first still isnt low enough sometimes to stay off the clutch, that was the point in gearing it down that far. I would say that 90 percent of my time is spent in first through third and that gearing for me is just about perfect.

i wonder if my chains long enough for a 53 I guess i might have an extra link.

Should be long enough. The wheel will need to move forward about 7/16" from its original position.

I'm running 12/49 on mine right now and it seemed to help but I still have problems with the bike stalling in tight terrain. In a perfect world I think 13/55 would be the hot ticket, its very close to how I had my old 426 geared and that bike was a tractor.

I race super tight trail up here in the Rockies.

At first I was using a stock front and 52 rear, but as I gained experience I slowly went down in the rear, 51, now 50.

One thing that made a big difference wasn't the gearing but bolstering up the low-end. I leaned out my pilot, added a fuel atomizer (accel pump cover; Boyeson or Factory R&D) and a K&N air filter. Later added the PowerBomb , that I swear help the throttle-ability to trackability (whatever...) it helped the throttle response at lower speeds/rpms.

i have a 9oz gytr fw. I like my gearing 13/51 but I thought it interesting to check out a 12 just because they are $25. would be nice to use more gears since i dont know if my chain would accommodate a larger rear sprocket.

I've run a 12t in some super duper tight riding, and even had a 12 along with a Steahly flywheel, but overall I prefer to go up 1 or 2 in back.

I am running a 13/52 now. All I ride is tight woods trails. I too only use 1st through 3rd gear 95% of the time. I still would like some lower gearing, at times, but think a FWW would make things a lot better.

Have you considered a Rekluse? I hear they help some for lower speed trails and help prevent stalling.