super low gearing tight trails

i am running a 13/51 on my 07. i was wondering if any one has played around with any lower gearing than this. i would like to throw on a 12 just to see how it responds. just curious kind of a boredom question.

i am running a 13/51 on my 07. i was wondering if any one has played around with any lower gearing than this. i would like to throw on a 12 just to see how it responds. just curious kind of a boredom question.

I run 13/53 and I like it. Bike still will do 60 something MPH wound out and thats plenty fast for me. I would have put a 12 on to start but apparently it wears hard on the swingarm.

12's are hard on the chain slider, hard on the chain, and hard on themselves (they wear out noticeably faster than a 13)

i wonder if my chains long enough for a 53 I guess i might have an extra link.

You don't want to add links to a chain. Creates a weak spot for the chain to break.

Keep in mind, you may find that running a 12T actually makes your big YZ more difficult to manuever through real technical terrain. Sometimes IMO, it's easier to just lug the engine rather than rev. Lower gearing = snappier higher revs. But try it and see how you like it...

I encourage riders to always get a flywheel weight first when I read "woods riding" FWW's are awesome !

Keep in mind, you may find that running a 12T actually makes your big YZ more difficult to manuever through real technical terrain. Sometimes IMO, it's easier to just lug the engine rather than rev. Lower gearing = snappier higher revs. But try it and see how you like it...

I encourage riders to always get a flywheel weight first when I read "woods riding" FWW's are awesome !

For the most part I would agree but it depends on what you consider really technical, with 13/53 on mine first still isnt low enough sometimes to stay off the clutch, that was the point in gearing it down that far. I would say that 90 percent of my time is spent in first through third and that gearing for me is just about perfect.

i wonder if my chains long enough for a 53 I guess i might have an extra link.

Should be long enough. The wheel will need to move forward about 7/16" from its original position.

I'm running 12/49 on mine right now and it seemed to help but I still have problems with the bike stalling in tight terrain. In a perfect world I think 13/55 would be the hot ticket, its very close to how I had my old 426 geared and that bike was a tractor.

I race super tight trail up here in the Rockies.

At first I was using a stock front and 52 rear, but as I gained experience I slowly went down in the rear, 51, now 50.

One thing that made a big difference wasn't the gearing but bolstering up the low-end. I leaned out my pilot, added a fuel atomizer (accel pump cover; Boyeson or Factory R&D) and a K&N air filter. Later added the PowerBomb, that I swear help the throttle-ability to trackability (whatever...) it helped the throttle response at lower speeds/rpms.

im running 13/48 and it does fine on the trails

12/50 . works great on tight single track, no top speed though.

i have a 9oz gytr fw. I like my gearing 13/51 but I thought it interesting to check out a 12 just because they are $25. would be nice to use more gears since i dont know if my chain would accommodate a larger rear sprocket.

I've run a 12t in some super duper tight riding, and even had a 12 along with a Steahly flywheel, but overall I prefer to go up 1 or 2 in back.

I am running a 13/52 now. All I ride is tight woods trails. I too only use 1st through 3rd gear 95% of the time. I still would like some lower gearing, at times, but think a FWW would make things a lot better.

Have you considered a Rekluse? I hear they help some for lower speed trails and help prevent stalling.

i am just wondering about gearing i dont care about stalling.