Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
socalhodaka

What do you think?00-426

16 posts in this topic

I have a chance to get this 426 for $1500. The guy is second owner and has only ridden it 4 times in the last year. I currently ride a KTM 520 DS bike and would like a newer MX bike to ride the track with my daughter on her YZ250f.

426001.jpg

Also if I do end up with it, I have access to a blown up 04 450f. I have read some post about putting the newer plastics on the 426? What about the 450 carb is this also something I should nab and would it be a good swap.

Here is a photo of my daughter, if I don't get on the track soon I won't be able to keep up.

DSC_2165.jpg

DSC_2061.jpg

It looks pretty nice, but do you know it's history? I think $1500 is on the higher end of what 426's are selling for. It would be good to know the hours and what's been done to it over the years. You could probably find a pretty nice '03-'05 450 for the same price, but if you want a green sticker bike it might be a sweet deal.

If you do end up buying it and get the 450 as well, you could put together a pretty good bike for track riding. Between the two, you'd have all the parts to do any of the upgrade mods that have been thought up for the 426 to make it perform better on the track.

I have a '00 426 that I was racing with the Old Timers before I picked up my '09 450. I was able to be competitive with it in the Novice class, but it needs an engine rebuild and I decided to spend that money something newer instead. The '09 was like night and day and helped me get better quickly, I'm in the Amateur class now. I still ride the 426 on trail rides though. :thumbsup:

I've done a lot of mods to my 426 using 450 parts and they all made small improvements that added up to a big improvement over stock. With the 450 you could swap out all the plastics, subframe, airbox, seat, carb, rear swingarm, exhaust , coil in plug set-up, rear brakes, front brakes, wheels, forks and clamps, and I think the '05 fork guards will bolt up to the '04 forks making it easier to change over to the CR routed brake line. The only thing I listed I didn't do on my 426 was the forks. There's threads on doing a lot of the upgrades and plenty of pics and links. A bonus will be all the parts you'd have left over you could sell and almost recover your investment.

Your daughter looks good!

What track is that?

i would get it at that price. Looking at the frame it doesnt have much paint worn off and the side covers dont look bad either. I know i piss people off that own newer 450s when my 426 fly's by them going up hills and such. i love my 01 and will never sell it.

OK guys thanks for the info. I did buy the bike for $1200. Both fork and shock has been fully serviced by Pro-Prept. I have read about the swapping of all the plastics and want to know about the carb, +or-. Also I do have the 04 450 front triples and forks but not the wheel or brake set up, would this be a good swap?

Yea and what about the coil set-up? You say I can swap that too.

We ride at Pala Raceway.

in my opinion, you will not feel a difference between a well jetted 426 carb and a steel framed 450 carb. I believe the newer aluminum framed bikes have a leak jet but that would be one upside. So No, the carb wont be necessary, just jet it and set the acc pump timing, along with getting an extended fuel screw. As for the forks, coil, and plastics there is info on here that pertains to all of this. Search should help if nobody chimes in.

i found a thread, and as for the forks, it may be a waste of time. The 426 and 04 forks are single chamber although the 05s are 48 mm. 05 and up would be the way to go.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=578544&highlight=04+forks+426

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=389496&highlight=450+forks+on+426

And for the coil, its a waste, you have to have all the parts including stator, plug wire, and such according to this thread. Obviously there is no advantage or gray would have said so in his post.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=863416&highlight=450+coil+426

yeah thats a pretty good buy. I thought I got mine for a good deal. I bought mine for $1500 and it came with a HJC helmet , Alpinestar Tech 8 boots , oakley googles, and an extra spark arrestor. Mine had low miles/hours. Not anymore!!!. for that price you can ride it and enjoy it for a long time. Good luck

The coil over plug swap is a worthwhile upgrade, and you don't need the whole system. Search for "GSX-R coil 426" using the advanced search.

The '04 forks are probably not worth buying to replace yours, but they definitely are worth installing if you have them. The wheel and brakes are the same.

If your current carb is fussy and hard to tune, the 450 carb could also be worth trying. You'll need the 450 hot start setup, though.

Hey everyone, thanks for the reply s. Ok so I'm going to hold onto as many as these 450 parts I have for now. Here is why I have the parts, I do part time work at a small Harley Performance shop. I do the oil changes, tires and some help on the dyno. The owners step son just toasted his 450, the owner really knows nothing but Harleys. Short story is they asked me to part it because I ride dirt bikes. So I get what I want from it first, I now I just got the 426 I think I want a bunch of it. Here is the parts.

DSCN5271.jpg

DSCN5275.jpg

One valve was bent, I don't remember which one but the exhaust cam looked good. So I think this will be my first mod.

That's a much better price!

Thought I'd give some clarification on the list I made of the things you could swap and sort of paraphrase all the threads that you can read up on. It's a bit of a long read so grab some chips and a drink.

While some things you can do with the 450 parts look like a waste of time, you have to think of the bigger picture. When upgrades for the 426 were first brought up, it would have been at a time when 426's were still 'out there' in large numbers and guys were trying to get them lighter or to perform better. A lot of the 450 parts proved to help in one way or another. There are also plenty of other mods to do as well as the list of swapable 450 parts that add to the big picture.

The list of 450 parts I made consist of both things you can change for performance gains and things you can change to get the weight down. In many cases both at the same time. In some cases very little gain, but bains none the less. I thought you already had a blown up '04 450 with a free stock pile of parts. If you have to buy the parts to do any swapping, that would change the game plan considerably. Anything with little gain is probably not worth the investment, but if you can get things dirt cheap or free and want to build something lighter than stock and performs better, might as well do as many as you can.

The plastics, subframe, seat and air box deal has some pretty good gains, you lose a good chunk of weight, you get a slightly lower center of gravity and a flatter profile on the seat for better handling and it just looks better.

The exhaust is only a gain if you do the plastics swap, it will line up better with the rear mount location. Even aftermarket 450 exhaust where you could have more choices than what's available for a 426.

The swingarm is mainly a weight savings deal, if it was free it's just an easy add on, but if you have to buy it don't bother. I used an '05 for even more weight loss, '05's and later have no coating. My stock swingarm was damaged so I had to replace it anyway.

The rear brake as an over all package is slightly lighter and the rear rotor is a slightly larger diameter. If you do the plastics swap, you have to either make a mounting bracket for the 426 fluid reservoir, or use the 450 master cylinder anyway. I swapped out everything on mine, master, hose, caliper, caliper bracket and rotor.

The front brake gains are a larger floating rotor and the 'improved' front master cylinder. I never bothered with the front rotor as I don't think it will work with the '00 fork. I think there's more guys that swapped their '00 masters with Honda CRF masters for any major improvement, but an '04 master would be a big improvement over the stock '00 unit. I used an '03 on mine, but the '04 is supposed to be improved over the '03. If you did swap out the forks, you might have to use the bigger rotor and the '04 caliper as well so it all lines up.

The '04 front forks are much improved over the '00 forks and are the larger 48 mm's, which is why you need the clamps. They also got the Kashima coating inside the big tubes. I never did later forks on my '00 as I have a lot invested in the stock forks and after market clamps already. But it would have been a big improvement for an upgrade.

I thought the hubs had been lightened up in the years after '00, that's why I mentioned the wheels. Again, if you had them for free, why not. If you have to buy, don't bother unless you wanted to go billet and Excel 7 series.

The stock '00 carb had some issues that had to be corrected in the '01 model so it's already a candidate for an upgrade. You might have to swap the cables for the '04, but not sure on that. You might as well go with the '04 for the improvements and the remote hot start. The '00 might be getting worn anyway.

The coil on plug deal is mostly a weight savings thing. I guess it could be debated if there were any performance gains. It may not be worth bothering with. I'll be putting one on my 426 when I do my lighting kit..........one of these days. LOL

And then something I forgot to put on the list, the exhaust cam. This is one of the main upgrades a lot of guys have done. With the cost of the Hot Cams being what it is today there's not much reason to use the OEM , but if you can get this one cheap and it's in excellent condition, might as well.

I'd also grab that air filter cage in the pic for an extra filter assy. A lot nicer to have an extra filter oiled and mounted on a cage and stored in a plastic bag ready to go.

You can take all this and apply it however you want. It's all been tried by somebody at some point and the threads are here to read. The body swap and the cam swap have some very comprehensive threads. Other things you have to read a few threads to get the whole picture. I posted up dimensions for the bracket you'll need to make for the 450 body work swap in the big thread.

Have fun building and enjoy your new ride! :thumbsup:

The coil on plug deal is mostly a weight savings thing.

Hotter spark at cranking speeds, less fouled plugs, better starting.
1 person likes this

Hotter spark at cranking speeds, less fouled plugs, better starting.

There you go.........:thumbsup:

That's a much better price!

I thought you already had a blown up '04 450 with a free stock pile of parts. If you have to buy the parts to do any swapping, that would change the game plan considerably. Anything with little gain is probably not worth the investment, but if you can get things dirt cheap or free and want to build something lighter than stock and performs better, might as well do as many as you can.

Yes the 450 is already blown up. I pretty much have access to any of the part and they would take what ever I can get for any of the 426 parts

The plastics, subframe, seat and air box deal has some pretty good gains, you lose a good chunk of weight, you get a slightly lower center of gravity and a flatter profile on the seat for better handling and it just looks better.

I do plain on doing the body swap, with all the 04 stuff and sub frame

The exhaust is only a gain if you do the plastics swap, it will line up better with the rear mount location. Even aftermarket 450 exhaust where you could have more choices than what's available for a 426.

I have alot of access to many pipe vendors, will likely go with Dr.D because they are local.

The swingarm is mainly a weight savings deal, if it was free it's just an easy add on, but if you have to buy it don't bother. I used an '05 for even more weight loss, '05's and later have no coating. My stock swingarm was damaged so I had to replace it anyway.

Did not think of this, but yes its there so I will.

The rear brake as an over all package is slightly lighter and the rear rotor is a slightly larger diameter. If you do the plastics swap, you have to either make a mounting bracket for the 426 fluid reservoir, or use the 450 master cylinder anyway. I swapped out everything on mine, master, hose, caliper, caliper bracket and rotor.

I have the brake caliper,master,bracket and hose. Rear wheel was already sold

The front brake gains are a larger floating rotor and the 'improved' front master cylinder. I never bothered with the front rotor as I don't think it will work with the '00 fork. I think there's more guys that swapped their '00 masters with Honda CRF masters for any major improvement, but an '04 master would be a big improvement over the stock '00 unit. I used an '03 on mine, but the '04 is supposed to be improved over the '03. If you did swap out the forks, you might have to use the bigger rotor and the '04 caliper as well so it all lines up.

The front wheel and brake assembly was already sold also.

The '04 front forks are much improved over the '00 forks and are the larger 48 mm's, which is why you need the clamps. They also got the Kashima coating inside the big tubes. I never did later forks on my '00 as I have a lot invested in the stock forks and after market clamps already. But it would have been a big improvement for an upgrade.

Maybe I will swap forks? The bike has a Applied top clamp already for the fat bars

I thought the hubs had been lightened up in the years after '00, that's why I mentioned the wheels. Again, if you had them for free, why not. If you have to buy, don't bother unless you wanted to go billet and Excel 7 series.

Both wheels already gone

The stock '00 carb had some issues that had to be corrected in the '01 model so it's already a candidate for an upgrade. You might have to swap the cables for the '04, but not sure on that. You might as well go with the '04 for the improvements and the remote hot start. The '00 might be getting worn anyway.

I can swap carb, throttle and cables but the hot start is broke. I will check that out

The coil on plug deal is mostly a weight savings thing. I guess it could be debated if there were any performance gains. It may not be worth bothering with. I'll be putting one on my 426 when I do my lighting kit..........one of these days. LOL

I have all this also,and like the clean look too.

And then something I forgot to put on the list, the exhaust cam. This is one of the main upgrades a lot of guys have done. With the cost of the Hot Cams being what it is today there's not much reason to use the OEM , but if you can get this one cheap and it's in excellent condition, might as well.

The 450 cam is good and this will be my first thing as well as maybe a new cam chain.

I'd also grab that air filter cage in the pic for an extra filter assy. A lot nicer to have an extra filter oiled and mounted on a cage and stored in a plastic bag ready to go.

I think I need to use the 450 air box with the body swap?

You can take all this and apply it however you want. It's all been tried by somebody at some point and the threads are here to read. The body swap and the cam swap have some very comprehensive threads. Other things you have to read a few threads to get the whole picture. I posted up dimensions for the bracket you'll need to make for the 450 body work swap in the big thread.

Yes this may be alot, if I didn't have all the stuff like I don't think I would do it all. This is kinda of a project and the Harley guys at the shop I think will really get into it helping me out.

What about the clutch mod? Right now the pull on the lever sucks?

I look forward to posted my progress and maybe even try a viedo on some of it. Thanks again and keep any suggestions coming

Have fun building and enjoy your new ride! :thumbsup:

Let it rip

Yeah, you'll need the 450 air box for the body swap. However, the air filter and cage are the same for both the 426 and the 450, so grab that cage and keep your 426 one and you have two.

I don't know if you've already gone through it, but here's the thread for the body swap with all the info you'll need. It's long......ten pages.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151436

The clutch fix is done with '01 426 parts, not 450. You can find a bunch of threads on that fix and they have all the part numbers for all the parts you'll need. Something to think about on that though, the main part of the fix was to address the grabby feel of the '00 clutch assy. To change the feel of the pull, you'd have to try changing the arm for the push rod or different springs or maybe a different/aftermarket clutch lever and perch with different geometry or one of those inline clutch cable multiplier dealios. I only did the '01 parts in the clutch assy and have been happy with the pull. I have the ASV pro perch and lever though, it could be different geometry to stock. Maybe someone has put in a stiff set of springs on your bike?

If it's just the lever that's broke on the hot start, the aftermarket ones are better located anyway. Just get one of those. If it's the cable or plunger, you just have to get a replacement. I'd still get an aftermarket lever though, the stock ones are mounted in a stupid place. LOL.

If the only thing you're missing is the rear rotor, they're fairly cheap so you could just pick up a 450 one and swap everything out.

If you don't still have the front master cylinder, then look for a CRF one or another late model Yamaha one. The stock '00 isn't very good and can even be a pain in the butt if you bend or break a lever. '01 and later levers are sold everywhere and are usually in stock, '00 and earlier a lot of times aren't.

It sounds like you're well on your way to putting together a pretty sweet bike. :thumbsup: