HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pluto67

08 WR 450 build recommendations

2 posts in this topic

I have th 08 WR 450, have done all the initial modifications.

It can climb steep single tracks very well, I live in Montana.

I'm considering an exhaust change and maybe new sprocket gearing.

front or back sprocket change?? I don't know.

does an aftermarket exhaust really make much difference?

does it truly add power or is the stock unit fine?

I want to enter an enduro this summer.

I put an aftermarket pipe on my Harley SuperGlide and the performance is worse than stock. With the stock muffler the Harley has much quicker acceleration from a dead stop. the aftermarket pipes just sound cooler, it think it drops power. Of course none will admit that, or maybe they can't notice. the aftermarket slip on pipe was a waste - but it does sound cool

I don't want to do this to my WR.

Thanks for any advice,

Erik

Erik,

As far as gearing goes, the rule of thumb is that 1 tooth on the front sprocket = 3 teeth on the rear.

I'd be trying a 1 tooth smaller front sprocket first if I were you since this is a cheaper option than buying a rear one.

Exhausts? Check this out before you go wasting money on an aftermarket exhaust. ...... (It's a lot of reading, but very informative.)

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=349760&highlight=Modified+Muffler+saves+big+%24%24%24%24

Greg