HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kjosh1982

YZ 450 for woods races

21 posts in this topic

I was wondering if any body uses a YZ450 for woods or enduro races?

I just bought an 09 and was wanting to get back into it.

Josh

yeah, i actually just got an 08 yzf 450 and i am currently in the process of setting the bike up for racing in Open A this year. Seems like it will be a great bike for the woods even though i have only ridden once with it this year so far on a moto track.

I ride an 08 in desert harescrambles. It can be a handfull in the tighter stuff because of the weight, but I'm still a novice rider. The nice thing is that it tracks straight and has a nice power delivery. I never have to worry about hillclimbs, I think it will climb anything.:thumbsup:

BTW, my full coverage skidplate as a nice scar right in front of the water pump from bouncing off a huge rock:thumbsup:

I dont race yet but I ve been riding YZF 426 and 450s in the tight trails(following race courses) in BC and they work great,lowered the gearing 51 tooth on rear bigger fuel tank and bark busters skid plate ect...

I dont race yet but I ve been riding YZF 426 and 450s in the tight trails(following race courses) in BC and they work great,lowered the gearing 51 tooth on rear bigger fuel tank and bark busters skid plate ect...

x2, except I'm in WA :thumbsup:

They make great XC bikes with their softer (for MX) lowend power. Even the stock suspension has good enough initial plushness for offroad if you're a fast guy. Super durable engine and crisp stock jetting all make it transfer to the woods easily.

1 person likes this

do you find that the heavy flywheel reduces the snappiness of the low end power at all?

Not at all, it makes it more usable. It really helped the stalling in tight conditions.

Flywheel weight is a must-have. A good skidplate and rad guards , hand guards and maybe a poly chainguide and gear it to suit. I plan on racing mine this year too and Im looking forward to it. I havent ridden mine since I had the suspension revalved so Im chomping at the bit now. They make a far better woods bike than they have any right to be, not so sure about the 2010s though,we'll have to see. I should get a chance to ride a 450 with a Rekluse this weekend so that might suddenly make it to my wish list.:thumbsup:

Flywheel weight is a must-have. A good skidplate and rad guards , hand guards and maybe a poly chainguide and gear it to suit. I plan on racing mine this year too and Im looking forward to it. I havent ridden mine since I had the suspension revalved so Im chomping at the bit now. They make a far better woods bike than they have any right to be, not so sure about the 2010s though,we'll have to see. I should get a chance to ride a 450 with a Rekluse this weekend so that might suddenly make it to my wish list.:lol:

i have heard alot about skid plates rattling a ton on 450's.. makes me pretty skeptical even though i already ordered a moose racing skid plate... :thumbsup:

i have heard alot about skid plates rattling a ton on 450's.. makes me pretty skeptical even though i already ordered a moose racing skid plate. .. :thumbsup:

They just tend to make the engine noise much more pronounced. I have foam under mine and its still quite noisy compared to a bike w/o an aluminum skidder.

I was just asking because i bought an 09 YZ450 F I have Bark Busters and I am waiting for my Z Pro Start (i was told it will be in in the morning, my bike showed up and is being put together at this very moment so pics should be up tomorrow night)

I am looking for a Skid plate , and i was thinking about adding the tubeless tires just to try them and there only 100 ea

They just tend to make the engine noise much more pronounced. I have foam under mine and its still quite noisy compared to a bike w/o an aluminum skidder.

i had one on my yz 125 and it only made a little bit of vibration as far as i could tell, which was easily bareable.. i just hope im not going to want to rip this skidplate off.. theres always disadvantages with protection it seems :thumbsup:

The first time I pulled up next to a YZ450 I told the guy it sounded like something was wrong with his motor. You get used to it.

i had one on my yz 125 and it only made a little bit of vibration as far as i could tell, which was easily bareable.. i just hope im not going to want to rip this skidplate off.. theres always disadvantages with protection it seems :thumbsup:

I sprayed the inside of my skid plate with that rubberized under carriage coating and it helped alot with the noise.