What don't you like about the '07-'10 WR450?

Thought I would post up some of the "issues" with this bike. That being said, I love this bike, and there are a lot of positive things about it - all of them mentioned on this forum. Here are the "cons" as I see them (please fell free to list those that I have left out):

1) Carb access (lack thereof) is downright silly

2) Air filter cage hole (fixed for 2008 and up)

3) Ground clearance is 1-3 inches less then it's competition

4) Suspension is too soft for most riders/riding (This one may draw some fire as the suspension is very good for slow, technical, rocky terrain.)

5) Tail light should be on TOP of the rear fender (ie Honda and Kaw) in order to keep it visible. Mine gets caked 3 minutes into each ride.

6) Blue plastic fades and discolors quickly (not a big deal, I know.)

7) Comes way too lean from factory (Throttle Stop/Pea Shooter/Gray Wire)

First thing, i really love my 07, but the biggest gripe is carb access, it's just terrible, and the stupid throttle stop and all the emission overkill stuff. If Honda can produce a ready to ride bike why can't Yamaha! Come on man!!! Could have a little more ground clearance also.

Thought I would post up some of the "issues" with this bike. That being said, I love this bike, and there are a lot of positive things about it - all of them mentioned on this forum. Here are the "cons" as I see them (please fell free to list those that I have left out):

1) Carb access (lack thereof) is downright silly

2) Air filter cage hole (fixed for 2008 and up)

3) Ground clearance is 1-3 inches less then it's competition

4) Suspension is too soft for most riders/riding (This one may draw some fire as the suspension is very good for slow, technical, rocky terrain.)

5) Tail light should be on TOP of the rear fender (ie Honda and Kaw) in order to keep it visible. Mine gets caked 3 minutes into each ride.

6) Blue plastic fades and discolors quickly (not a big deal, I know.)

7) Comes way too lean from factory (Throttle Stop/Pea Shooter/Gray Wire)

Lol!, this is the first time I've seen a thread like this one. I've owned about 7 different bikes, one of them being a 2007 WR450F, so here's my take on your 7 items:

1) Carb access (lack thereof) is downright silly. Agreed, carb access is VERY limited, pretty much the only thing one can do is pull the choke, anything else is a major pain in the rear. Luckily, once the bike is dialed in for proper jetting, it's a set 'n forget deal. I haven't touched the carb on my WR in nearly 3 years, will be 3 years in 3 more months.

2) Air filter cage hole (fixed for 2008 and up)Actually, it was fixed within a few months of the 2007 model being released, my 07 came with the correct filter cage.

3) Ground clearance is 1-3 inches less then it's competition. Never been an issue for me in nearly 3 years, and that includes a lot of different riding terrain, along with a 200+ lbs rider(wearing all my gear).

4) Suspension is too soft for most riders/riding (This one may draw some fire as the suspension is very good for slow, technical, rocky terrain.) Agreed on this one too, the stock suspension is crap for anything beyond just putting around.?:banghead: Swapped the forks and shock for a set out of an 07 yz450f and the problem was instantly solved.?

5) Tail light should be on TOP of the rear fender (ie Honda and Kaw) in order to keep it visible. Mine gets caked 3 minutes into each ride. Matter of personal preference I guess, I personally like the way it's located and the way it looks. Unless I'm riding where there's mud, it's quite visible. Still, the dust/rocks/mud my rear tire is flinging out should be more of a warning than any LED tail light.:jawdrop:

6) Blue plastic fades and discolors quickly (not a big deal, I know.) Do you leave your bike out in the sun? The plastics on mine look just as blue as when it was new, just a lot more scratched...:applause::cheers: the plastics do get a white tone when they're bent badly, a heat gun takes care of that though.

7) Comes way too lean from factory (Throttle Stop/Pea Shooter/Gray Wire). Most people have to re-jet the bike for their riding location, so it's really an insignificant issue, not even an issue I'd say. Re-jetting and doing the free/cheap mods helped me to get to know my WR a lot faster than I would have if I didn't have to mess with it so much initially.

Overall, I love my WR450F, specially after doing some extensive mods to it, but these days I can't get enough of my 08 yz450f. :crazy: that bike is just a pure adrenaline pumping machine.?:crazy:

only real complaint was the "larger" WR gas tank coulda been a tad bigger.? this bugs me cause, I was used to the enormous tank my 89 rmx 250 has, I am pretty sure I would run out of gas if was in the dunes for a "full ride" and didnt have to come back for lunch and fuel.

I know the ole rmx would dune a whole day without coming back to camp.

This is just a dream, It would be nice if the quiet exhaust on the wr didnt choke it up as much, but it was it is, thus a new 1/2" hole in the baffle and end cap insert.

I love my bike, its 99% perfect IMO ?

• 4 months later...

No one mentioned a dead spot in acceleration when cranking it on from idle to near full throttle. I just bought a used '08 and noticed it right away on the test drive. I'm going to try the AIS removal kit and rejet the carb to see if that has any effect.

I have owned a 2007 2008 and 2009 WR. And everyone of them has needed rejetting. I am based in the UK and even bought a UK spec one. It still needed rejetting!!

I take mine to a proper place that do jetting so I don't have to touch the carb. But yes carb access is crap....Ground clearance doesn't bother me as it still runs 18 and 21 inch wheels that enoguh clerance for me!! The Yamaha is a great bike....Engine is strong

Skid plate is a pathetic joke. (easy fix considering I was fixing my busted case cover anyways right)

The ais/throttle stop idea is just Wrong

I wouldn't complain about a larger tank

meh... I really, REALLY like my wr

I bought a 2008 and did the rejet, grey wire, air box, and slip on exhaust......this thing runs PERFECT ?:smirk:.......even up at 9000 feet altitude in Kennedy Meadows........just love it.......would not change a thing..........sorry to hear about others who have problems with theirs........

Stock suspension was to soft, but at 240 I have to respring everything. Plastic skid plate and throttle stop was just wrong. My biggest complaint is the weight in bar to bar turns on single track. Other then that I love the bike ?

I'm surprised no one mentioned the seat. I'm coming from the KTM world and I feel the 09 seat is worse than KTMs! So after the first 15 mile ride I got a Guts Racing tall/medium foam seat and all is good.

I'm still working on the suspension, I'm not sure who the stock suspension works for. It went off for a revalve at the same time as the seat. ?

Even with the revalve I'm finding the range of conditions of the WR suspension is a lot less than my KTM was. Meaning, if you set the clickers so the WR works well in rocks/roots then it is too soft for any kind of big hit or jump. If you set it up for big hits or jumps (and I'm talking small jumps here) then it is too stiff for the little stuff and deflects off. Still working with my suspension guy on this one ... my original goal was to be a lot better than the KTM, now I'd be happy to get back to the KTM level.

I'm really happy with the power (Yamaha GYTR kit, AIS still on, all other mods done) and jetting.

Handling seems nice, but will know more once I get the suspension dialed in.