Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
husky390or

Need service tips on 09 YZ450F Carb

11 posts in this topic

I have big hands, in fact, my hands are prime candidates for a Burger King Whopper. To tell you the truth, I am thoroughly convinced that there is an engineer in Japan, at Yamaha , who is laughing hysterically at the thought of my big fat American banana hands trying to get in between the frame and the shock and the engine to work on the carb.

So please, please pass on your tips on how you work on the carb without having to tear half the bike apart. I am dreading the day that I may have to adjust the needle jet.

Thank you.

i dont think theres anyway of avoiding taking half the bike apart if you want to actually adjust the internals of the carb.

Remove the upper engine mount to access the needle.

To remove the carb, unbolt the air box from the sub frame, remove the sub frame, then remove the air box. The carb will come off easily. Assemble in reverse order.

To remove the jets, including the pilot, without moving the carb, read here:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=556427

The only thing you need to do to change the needle is remove the tank and seat. Then you need a set of allen wrenches with the ball end and you're all set. I was able to change all jets and needle without removing the carb.

One of the things I learned in all those years as a professional mechanic was that it's often just faster to remove something that to work around it. To each his own.

I totally rejetted mine, put an R&D power bowl and remote fuel screw on mine and I have to agree with Gray. It was much faster and less frustrating to just remove the carb.

Pull the subframe and airbox off and you will be much happier than trying to service the carb while it is still attached. I did that on my WR450 some years back with the carb still on the bike.... and I'm still having nightmares about that experience. This way was much better.

BubZ

We don't necessarily agree, then, although we might. I said it was faster to pull the motor mounts than to work around them.

You are correct, my memory is short for sure...I think? I believe that someone else posted that removing the subframe and airbox was the way to go. Personally, I took my carb to the kitchen table to study the directions and keep up with the incredibly small parts.

I would say that even though it caused much friction with the house monitor that I haven't needed to adjust anything since it was reinstalled. Following the recommendastions and using a little prior knowledge saved me a lot of raw knuckles and foul language. My skin is thick, my bike is running flawless. A good trade!!

BubZ :thumbsup:

I took my carb to the kitchen table to study the directions and keep up with the incredibly small parts.
Not an altogether bad strategy. :thumbsup:

My skin is thick, my bike is running flawless. A good trade!!

Indeed. Depends on how much you're doing, I think. If you're just swapping a jet or two, it's worth working it in place. Much more than that, take it off and get it out in the open, especially if you're unfamiliar.

Here's a tip: When you read the part about not removing the TPS, pay attention and heed the advice. You WILL NOT enjoy the process of adjusting the little booger on an '06+ model. Not at all. :lol:

Ah! The kind of tip that keeps me coming back.

I just unplugged mine when the carb came in the house with me.

Clint once said a man has got to know his limitations. I get a little braver as I work on these beasts, however there are still many tasks I would rather pay a pro to do. Some of these rebuild jobs that are posted are so way above me that I get lost just looking at the pictures!

Thanks again,

BubZ

I totally rejetted mine, put an R&D power bowl and remote fuel screw on mine and I have to agree with Gray. It was much faster and less frustrating to just remove the carb.

Pull the subframe and airbox off and you will be much happier than trying to service the carb while it is still attached. I did that on my WR450 some years back with the carb still on the bike.... and I'm still having nightmares about that experience. This way was much better.

BubZ

HAHA! Ditto that, working on a WR is pure hell! Mine could run much better I just don't want the hassle of tearing it apart again.