HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CrucifiedYZ

Issues with Cold start on my YZ426F

5 posts in this topic

Herd this was the place to find help, I just bought a 2000 YZ 426F, All around it seems like a great bike, but when I try to start it when it is cold she takes forever to fire up. I did my research on the Edelbrock carb and did notice that the carb I have does not have an Enricher Lever or a choke and from my experiance you kind of need either one correct? I need some knowledge from all of you can you please give me some tips and advice on how to get this bike to start on 1-2 kicks instead of 30-40. Thanks for you help.

All 426 have both hot start and a choke on the stock carb. But 30-40 kicks - you probably have valve issues, need to rejet, need a new spark plug,... or just don't know how to kick it right.

All 426 have both hot start and a choke on the stock carb.
He already said he has an Edelbrock carb, which has neither of these features.

Here's 2 much better videos on the starting process, although again, he doesn't have a stock carb.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/4stroke_vid/4_stroke_vid_a.mpg

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/4stroke_vid/4_stroke_vid_b.mpg

Proper technique will help, but cold starting is going to be tough without some enrichment. My advice would be to ditch the Eddy and buy a good used '05 or later YZ450 carb. I just sold one to another TT'er with a 426, and his feedback was that the bike never ran so good.