wr450 versus wr250

How many of you have ridden the wr450 and the wr250 and how much difference is there between the bikes is there a huge difference in the power

I have a Honda XR650L and a Sherco 2.9 trials and I am looking for something in between I have found a 04 450, and a 2000 250 very reasonably priced

BTW i stand 6'4"

There is no 2000 WR 250f. First year was 2001.

The power differences are significant. If your riding includes alot of wide open terrain, sand washes, hillclimbs, or you are heavier than 200 lbs the 450 is the best choice IMO.

So, the WR250 would be a better choice over the WR450 in tight trails/Harescramble type ridding ?

Absolutely. In tight twisty woods you will not have the ability to feel or use the extra power that the 450 creates. In fact, the 250 will show it's power sooner or quicker than the 450. And, the 250 is much lighter "feeling" because it is lighter and it doesnt have the extra weight feeling created by the 450 engine inertia. In most cases the 250's are faster and pass the 450's in the woods and then out in the open the 450's get back in front.

The 450 will leave you much more tired and dehydrated after a harescramble than a 250 for the average person...unless you are extremely fit.

I had a 04 wr 250 now I have a 07 450. I live in Vermont and ride tight technical stuff and also I do turkey runs. I am 45 , out of shape and didn't ride much until 04. I love the 450 and I don't think it's too much power. It can be more of a handful in super tight situations but you get used to it. the 450 is better in the mud and soft stuff. With that said the 04 450 got terrible reviews, the gas tank is too fat and it pushes you back in the saddle.

I grew up a trials rider so I have a tendency to ride the rear tire or stand, but I am a big guy and I am looking for something that will do sand and the tighter trails so it sounds like the 450 is my best bet thanks for all the input

I'd look for a later model 250.

I have an 07 250 and 450. The 250 is easier to ride on most hard packed and rocky terrain and I can ride the thing all day without getting worn out.

You can ride your 650 when you need power.

3. I ground my steering stops down slightly to tighten the turning radius on my 450.

Thats a good idea...I'm doing that tonight.

I was thinking 250 becasue he has the 650 to ride too.

I rode my 2004 250 for 4 years in tight single track. I found I was always looking for more power. Added pipe and cams but still never enough.Last spring picked up an 07 450. Best choice I could have made. Put in a rekluse pro clutch. I can ride the 450 with the rekluse faster and longer than the 250.

The problem with the 250 is your riding at high rpms to get any power. Makes it more difficult to control in my opinion. The 450 has so much of idle power its a simple blip here and there. FYI I'm 5'6" 165lbs.

"The problem with the 250 is your riding at high rpms to get any power. Makes it more difficult to control in my opinion. The 450 has so much of idle power its a simple blip here and there."

That is the reason I decided on the 450 myself.I knew I wouldn't need all the power that it made for the woods but I wanted a bike with good bottom end without wringing its neck all day. Now I think the auto clutch would be a good addition for the woods to make it easier.

I have not rode the 250 though but coming from a 250 2 stroke I was thinking it wouldn't have enough umph for very long.

WR250 with a 290 kit is one of the best bikes I've ever ridden in the tight SE Ohio trails, very good bottom-mid for a small bore but will still rev to the moon.

I'm 6'4" 250lbs...I can go faster longer on the 290 than any 450 I've ridden, you just need to pick good lines.

I've got an 05 WR450 and an 07 WR250, picked up the 250 first, had it been the other way I probably wouldn't have the 250. Don't get me wrong, I like the 250 it is lighter and with the free mods it runs pretty good. I even went up one tooth on the CS because I didn't like to wring it out at fireroad speeds or at highway speeds, and the motor will pull it. But riding the 450 is like cheating, it never runs out of power, for me, and I ride single track, twotracks etc. What I like most of all is the way the 450 handles in the sand, and am still in the process of altering the 250 to make it work in sand. Once you do the free mods on the 250, you won't find much of a power difference between that and the XR650L, at least the one I used to own.

WR250 with a 290 kit is one of the best bikes I've ever ridden in the tight SE Ohio trails, very good bottom-mid for a small bore but will still rev to the moon.

I'm 6'4" 250lbs...I can go faster longer on the 290 than any 450 I've ridden, you just need to pick good lines.

Ohio Elevation:

Lowest: 455'

Highest: 1,549'

Mean: 850'

New Mexico Elevation:

Lowest: 2,842'

Highest: 13,161'

Mean: 5,700'

There's a huge difference in the available horsepower between the two locations.

If I want to feel like a hero and know the ride or track session won't be more than 45 total minutes of riding I often go for a 450. But if it's a long not too wide open race or ride lasting an hour or more I grab the 250F. Not that you mentioned this as an option but many ride a 250 two stroke for the best of both worlds: same weight as 250F and very awesome power throughout the range if it's a newer 250 two smoke.