Slime in tubes?

If you are riding in lots of rocks, or areas with bad thorns, it is definitely a good idea to run Slime in tires with tubes. It's a little irritating when you check the air pressure, you get a little Slime in your air gauge, but otherwise it's great. Heavy duty tubes are also important for this kind of duty.

Note there are several related threads if you do a TT search.

Cheers,

BG

Thanks BG. Riding here in Colorado, you are basically riding on and over rocks all the time. Not called Rocky Mountains for nothing. Concerned about pinch flats from the rocks.

IMO the best prevention for pinch flats are Ultra Heavy Duty tubes and tires with stiff sidewalls (Maxxis Desert IT for rear and Pirelli XCHM for the front).

The Tubliss system is probably the best, just a bit more $$

There is a new product out called Ride on. www.Ride-on.com This stuff is awesome. It cost a lil more then slime but makes no mess, works on tube & tubeless tires and Balances your wheel so you dont have to have to worrie about wheel weights getting Knocked off! I have ran a lil over 100 mph on my 690 ktm with no Vibes or any thing. Read up on this stuff and make up your own mind. I did and now a believer!

AJ

I put slime in my tires once for a Texas Big Bend ride. I did not have any problems and no flats. However, when I got home and rode the bike on the street. The slim definitely messed up the handling and there was additional vibration. It really made the bike feel weird in corners on both dirt and street. 2 months after putting the slime in I replaced both intertubes to get rid of the handling problems. I will never put slim in my tubes again. I did not like the handling and the vibration issues.

Kurt

I have been using this white stuff that I get at auto part stores. I think it is teflon based and does a MUCH better job than slime. It will actually mend a pinch flat and will seal a tube that has been ravaged with catus.

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=SME706601_0238940391

But there is no susbstitute for a good HD tube and a fresh front tire.

We have been using slime on our dirt bikes for tours for over 10 years.We use bridgestone ultra heavy duty tubes.The bikes are used for tuff single track trails,we use 5-7psi.For this type riding the stiff side wall tires dont work.In Baja flats are a plenty.Some times they still go flat because low psi wont push the slime past hole.So on trail I pump up tire to 15 or more psi,ride a mile or so.Then let tire back down,only once did not work,it was getting dark.So I put 8 more onces in on the trail,that got it.I dont notice handling problems,sometimes we ride a few miles on pavement.

As Baja Trail Rider mentioned, Bridgestone ultra heavy duty tubes are your friend and I feel the best out there. Also as noted, slime can't always help you with a pinch flat so a stiff carcassed tire and the ultra heavy duty tubes are the best starting point. I always use slime as my most common flat (not very often!) is nails or cactus and it does a great job on those types of holes. With slime, at times I have only discovered that I had a flat when I went to go change the tire and could see a little bit of the green goo on the inside, but never lost any pressure. Also to note, the kind of slime made for tubless tires (it's got bigger chunks of "stuff" in it) still seems to work well in tube type tires, maybe even better than the other stuffl.

I put slime in my tires once for a Texas Big Bend ride. I did not have any problems and no flats. However, when I got home and rode the bike on the street. The slim definitely messed up the handling and there was additional vibration. It really made the bike feel weird in corners on both dirt and street. 2 months after putting the slime in I replaced both intertubes to get rid of the handling problems. I will never put slim in my tubes again. I did not like the handling and the vibration issues.

Kurt

I have ran slime in both street (running @90mph, no prob) and dirt with no problems. It may have been that you put the whole bottle into the tube or tire, or just too much. And putting that amount of any liquid into a tire will be a problem. I have always just put a minimum. But yes, I have heard of this complaint before.

So Cal desert racing involves lots of rocks. General practice here is all the basic stuff mentioned...tires with a stiff sidewall (Maxxis has become the tire of choice over the last 5 years or so), slime, heavy duty tubes and run the air pressure a little high, I have always run 16 front and rear. Still there is no sure way to never have a flat unless you run the solid inserts. Slime will only slow a small puncture hole not a pinch tear.