HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
schony

Counterbalance key

8 posts in this topic

Dose anyone know what the part number is for this? I am rebuilding my 400 and here this is a problem? do i have to split the case to do this? I saw 1 key one each end on the crank in an exploded view but none on the balance shaft?

What exactly is the problem? I just did one and don't recall any key or keyway on the counterbalancer.

The balancer itself doesn't have one. The balancer drive gear on the crank of 2000 and earlier models uses a square key that gets beat up and then damages the crank. The one you see on the right end of the crank axle is the one you want.

It is not necessary to remove the engine or split the case to install it.

the cam journals got really scored up and this dude wanted to get rid of the bike so I bought it for 200 bucks. Bought a new head and a set of hot cams plan to get the cylinder done to a 420cc and wanted to do any other upgrades that it might need. so this key is it item 90280-03017-00? Any other suggestions are welcomed thanks for the help guys!

so this key is it item 90280-03017-00?

I don't see that number anywhere. It varies with year model, what's yours?

Item # 9 on the crankshaft page.